Google Search is gone

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
protea

Google Search is gone

Post by protea »

Thunderbird has always been my favorite email client. But after my computer updated today I can't send emails any more. I'm sure I could find the setting that won't allow me to progress any further BUT while I was trying to search for anyone else having the same problem I ran into a flydown that would allow me to select my search engine and out of 6 selections there was no Google. I went outside (to my browser) and found the info to add Google Search as an extension. It didn't work. It won't find you the right extension. I will not allow my email to dictate to me what search engine so I guess GMail or possibly Opera has another user unless I am missing something.
tanstaafl

Re: Google Search is gone

Post by tanstaafl »

Some context would help as there are at least four different types of searches in Thunderbird

1) Global search. This is managed by tools -> options -> advanced -> general -> enable global search & indexer. Its search field is in the upper right corner of the main window.

2) Quick Filter bar. Its a folder specific search enabled by view -> toolbars -> quick filter bar. Its search field is also in the upper right corner, but below the toolbars. It can be enhanced by adding add-ons such as the expression search/ gmail UI add-on at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... ui/?src=ss

3. Quick Search. Edit -> Find can be be used to search messages in the current folder, or search for addresses in the address books.

4. Open Search. This lets you select some text in a message, right click on it, select a search menu item in the context menu and search for it using your default browser. It defaults to a "Search Bing for ...." menu item in the context menu but you can configure it to use Google Search or Duck Duck Go.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ad ... pen-search (open search help)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... thunderbi/ (google search add-on)
https://duck.co/help/desktop/thunderbird (duck duck go)

Are you asking about number 4?

What version of Thunderbird does help -> about Thunderbird (using it can make it check for updates) or help -> troubleshooting information (no side effects) say that you are using?

"I ran into a flydown that would allow me to select my search engine and out of 6 selections there was no Google." sounds more like you are using the latest version of Firefox and trying to select the search engine in the search field to the right of the address bar".

If you are using Firefox version 57.0.2 try going to about:preferences#search to change the search engine settings.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

protea

Post by protea »

Hi - you are correct in assuming #4. So went thru the steps recommended by Geeks. All the other search engines (and a couple I don't know) but no Google. Sometimes it is easier to go with the flow and since mozilla doesn't want google included I did a google search and found that eMail Client is the highest ranked email client I downloaded it and am quite impressed so far. I appreciate you were willing to help out but all problems are solved with eMail Client so I'll go with the flow. Thanks again.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I installed the google search add-on with TB 52.5.0 under Windows 10 x64 (version 1709). It works fine. If you ever change your mind I'd be happy to try to help you figure out how to fix it.

I suspect by eMail client you meant eM Client. I've used that for 4 years to help troubleshoot whether Thunderbird or the mail server is at fault. Its a good email client with some useful built-in features (but no add-on support) that I've recommended several times to users that gave up on Thunderbird, though the free version is limited to 2 accounts.