Simple junk filtering

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
zoharl

Simple junk filtering

Post by zoharl »

I realized that most of my spam is sent from the same address or from the same name.
Over the years I was tempted to use the auto-junk in Thunderbird, and I was always burned (it classifying messages as junk wrongly). I would like to manually create a list of spam addresses. I can manually create a filter from sender, but it's too cumbersome. I would like TB when I mark a message as spam to:

1. Move it to the junk folder.
2. Blacklist the sender by email address and name. For example, create a junk filter out of the address or name.

Is it possible?
DanRaisch

Re: Simple junk filtering

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you been right clicking on the sender's address in the spam email and selecting "Create filter from"?
You can also use menu path File->Account Settings->Junk Settings->and select one or more address books to serve as white lists. That is, Thunderbird's Junk Mail Controls will not mark messages as Junk of the sender's address is found in the selected address books. That might allow you to use the Junk Mail Controls rather than the more cumbersome individual message filters.
zoharl

Post by zoharl »

The idea was to do it in a quick and convenient way; especially, since filters can't be shared between computers unlike, e.g., Chrome settings. Finding the sender, right click, selecting create filter from the pop menu, and pressing okay is too long of a process.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Finding the sender, right click, selecting create filter from the pop menu, and pressing okay is too long of a process.
Really? Really!?! That's too much work? How would you expect the program to know which address you want to create the filter for if you don't identify/select it?

And you can transfer filters from one account to another or from on computer to another. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
zoharl

Post by zoharl »

For all the spam that I get and for each computer - yes. As I said, I suggest when I click the flame icon near a message, it won't only be moved to the junk folder, it would also add the sender to the black list.

So you suggest that every time I create a filter or every day, I should export my settings, then copy them to other computers and import them?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So you suggest that every time I create a filter or every day, I should export my settings, then copy them to other computers and import them?
Clearly not. Once a week should be sufficient, if it was necessary at all.
But why are you creating individual filters per sender rather than working with the built in Junk Mail Controls ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Junk_Mail_Controls ) to deal with the spam?
zoharl

Post by zoharl »

As I said, I can't trust its automatic detection.

I guess I need to submit a feature request or something, since I'm not happy with the current methods.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can do that. See this article -- https://www.lifewire.com/report-thunder ... nt-1173083

Just don't expect a personal reply and be sure to provide specific details on just how the filtering process would function.