how do i import my 'sent' folder from gmail?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
PankeJo

how do i import my 'sent' folder from gmail?

Post by PankeJo »

hi all,

I'm just starting to use Thunderbird for my gmail-account, and I'm wondering - how do I import my 'sent'-folder? Weirdly, TB did indeed import some of my sent messages - but only a handful, like 10, and they're from 2014... So how do I get it to import them all?

Also, in another mail-account I had one msg that was forwarded to me. It has very long lines of text, and for some reason TB doesn't break these lines. i tried various how-tos from the internet, like creating a .css-file in TBs appdata-folder, and sthg else which I don't remember - anyway, nothing worked, I still have impossibly long lines in that one message... Any tips for that would be greatly appreciated, too.
tanstaafl

Re: how do i import my 'sent' folder from gmail?

Post by tanstaafl »

If you are using a Gmail IMAP account you should not create your own sent folder as the Gmail SMTP server automatically uses "Sent Mail". If you created one by mistake, unselect it in "copies & folders" and just move its contents to "Sent mail" if they are not duplicates.

If you are using a Gmail POP account Thunderbird only knows about the existence of the inbox folder on the mail server. All of the folders you see in your POP account are local. See if https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-export- ... es-1171881 lets you download a copy of your webmail sent folder as a mbox file. if it does, then see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders for how to import it.

An alternative if you have a Gmail POP account would be to add a Gmail IMAP account for the same email address. It can co-exist with the POP account. You can then just copy the messages from the IMAP sent folder (same as the webmail sent folder) to the POP sent folder, normally. Afterwards you can delete the IMAP account.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plain_text_e- ... hunderbird describes several settings that effect the display such as the display width. However, mail.wrap_long_lines defaults to true. If the problem only occurs for messages from one sender perhaps there is something wrong with those messages that breaks the normal wrapping.

Did I understand your questions?
PankeJo

Post by PankeJo »

Yeah, maybe the long lines is not that important, is was really only that one message apparently, probably weird somehow.

As for the sent folder: I use IMAP. I did not create any folders on my own. The only thing I created was a new mail account, the gmail one. TB did everything else automatically, settings for servers and ports and stuff, and it also created this 'sent' folder (not 'sent mail') that contains the said handful of really old messages from my gmail 'sent mail' folder.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Uncheck "place a copy in" in "copies & folders" and delete the "sent" (not the "sent mail") folder if it appears to have duplicates. I thought the new account wizard was smart enough to know not to enable the sent folder for Gmail, but its been a while since I added one.