Leave Mail on Server- NOt Working

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
pakeck

Leave Mail on Server- NOt Working

Post by pakeck »

Hello - I am new to the Forum. My wife and I both have Thunderbird installed on our PC. She likes to keep mail in her inbox, I do not. I have my install setup to get Comcast email with a POP server account. I have "Leave Mail on Server" checked. BUT... when I delete an email on my PC, it doesn't appear on hers when she downloads- so it appears it is not being left on the Server.

Can someone help me sort this out??

Pak
tanstaafl

Re: Leave Mail on Server- NOt Working

Post by tanstaafl »

Check whether the nearby "until I delete them" is also checked. Both it and "for at most X days" can delete the original left on the POP server.

If you are sharing an email address I suggest you consider switching to a IMAP account. That will let you share all of your folders with your wife, including the sent folder. I have a Comcast IMAP account and the quota is about 10.6 GB so there is plenty of space.
pakeck

Post by pakeck »

tanstaafl wrote:Check whether the nearby "until I delete them" is also checked. Both it and "for at most X days" can delete the original left on the POP server.

If you are sharing an email address I suggest you consider switching to a IMAP account. That will let you share all of your folders with your wife, including the sent folder. I have a Comcast IMAP account and the quota is about 10.6 GB so there is plenty of space.
I have the "until I delete them" checked also. And I have the 'leave msgs on the server for 500 days"

But if I have an IMAP account, and I delete an email, then she won't get to see it??

Paul
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If both of you have IMAP accounts for the same email address whatever one person does effects the other. i.e. if you delete a message she won't see it. However, you could move it to a different folder (which she could also access) instead.

Its always awkward sharing a mailbox. But a IMAP account gives you many more options than a POP account. You could even create his and hers folders and use message filters to automatically move most messages (when checking for new mail) from the inbox to the appropriate folder based on searching for a persons name in the message body, who sent the message etc.

Another example is that IMAP accounts don't have to move a message to the trash folder when deleting it. Its possible to delete a message yet still have it visible/readable (with a line drawn through it in the folder listing, indicating its deleted) until the folder is compacted. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts

Are you aware that your Comcast account can support up to 6 usernames? (they would be independent accounts as far as Thunderbird was concerned since it has no knowledge of subaccounts or secondary accounts) See https://www.xfinity.com/support/article ... -addresses . Another possibility would be to uses aliases but they apparently have limited support for aliases - inbound only.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

On a POP account, if you have "until I delete them" checked, it will do just that -- leave the messages on the server until you delete the local copy. Once deleted locally, the next time you connect to the server, they will be deleted there too. At that point, with you and your wife sharing the same email account, if she has not yet downloaded those messages, they won't be there for her.

To prevent this from happening when sharing a POP account like this, it is best to NOT check "until I delete". You must then provide other means of pruning out unwanted messages from the server's Inbox, though, as it will eventually fill to its capacity and it will not be able to receive any new messages until old messages are removed to make room for them.

One means of doing this is with the "for at most X days" option. 500 days, though is a pretty long time, and it might be possible for your server's inbox to fill up by then and prevent you from receiving new mail.

Another means of doing this is to log into your account's web page periodically using a browser and deleting any unwanted messages that way.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers