cannot retrive email using TB from pop.cox.net

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
hav

cannot retrive email using TB from pop.cox.net

Post by hav »

apparently cox now requires ssl/tls and a different port for both incoming and outgoing email. I made the changes indicated by cox: i.e. both changed to ss/tls and port 995 for incoming and port 465 for outgoing.

I can send mail just fine - but, when I try to download my email using TB, I get a connection timed out error.

Several calls to cox support result only in recommendation to contact tb support??! :evil: :evil:

ANyway - anyone figured this out yet?
tanstaafl

Re: cannot retrive email using TB from pop.cox.net

Post by tanstaafl »

https://www.cox.com/residential/support ... tings.html implies you'd want pop.cox.net as the mail server, authentication method=normal password, connection security = ssl/tls and port=995 for a POP account. I suspect you want just the username portion of the email address as the username (based on the IMAP instructions)

According to https://www.cox.com/residential/support ... tings.html it also supports IMAP accounts. If the above paragraph doesn't help, why not try adding a IMAP account? It can co-exist with a POP account for the same email address while you figure out what you want to do/keep.
hav

Post by hav »

ok - started working after contacting tier 2 support - they said the pop server had been acting up - THEN it started working ok LOL
hav

Post by hav »

just saw your reply tanstaafl - thanks - I was setup correctly with the changes indicated on their info page ... tier 2 said they had been having similar issues with the pop server and to wait ... sure enough, started working fine ;-)
morat

Post by morat »

I'm a long time Cox customer. I found that the Cox email server is never down more than a day.

I like how Cox has its own email server, unlike AT&T who uses Yahoo for their email.