Switching identities, sending from other email aliases

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
funkytwig

Switching identities, sending from other email aliases

Post by funkytwig »

Had a look on the web for this and in this forum without luck. I have an email account that has a number of aliases. Generally, I want to send the email from the main address (me@domain.com) but sometimes I want to send it from another address (work@domain.com). Is there a way of doing this. Just to be clear, these share the same email account, they are simply different email aliases.

What would be great is if it automatically replied to the address I use when I sent the email. So my main email address is me@domain.com but if I send the email to work@domain.com and someone replies (i.e. they send it to wok@domain.com) it would be good if it automatically selected work@domain.com as the address for me to send the reply to.

I know if I set up a number of email accounts, each with there own email address, it automatically select the correct one to send the email from but my email addresses are aliases, they don't each have there owned email account. Now I did try setting up another account, well actualy the same account with a diferent email, but I get an error saying the mail server already exists.
smsmith

Re: Switching identities, sending from other email aliases

Post by smsmith »

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
mgagnonlv

Re: Switching identities, sending from other email aliases

Post by mgagnonlv »

The page above speaks only of the Thunderbird part. I will add a few things to that:

1. Obviously, you need to set up your mailbox with your ISP. your host needs to be aware that "work@domain.com" is indeed an alias of "me@domain.com"

2. Once you have set up the various identities, replies are automatically sent using the proper alias. In other words, if someone sent you an email at "work@domain.com", the reply will automatically be from "work@domain.com". For new messages, you will have to make sure you use the proper identity because Thunderbird has no way of knowing which one it should choose.

3. If your account is a gmail account (or a domain hosted at gmail), it will replace the "from" address by that of your account or an "authorized" address. So that may play tricks with what you want to do.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)