join accounts into a group in folder pane (as in Postbox)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Leopoldus

join accounts into a group in folder pane (as in Postbox)

Post by Leopoldus »

Hi,

Is there any trick to join several accounts into a group in the folder tree pane, for instance, "My work accounts", "My private accounts", "My alter ego accounts" etc?

The need is quite obvious and I don't believe it to be difficult task for coding. Postbox authors has implemented this option many years ago.

Thanks!
DanRaisch

Re: join accounts into a group in folder pane (as in Postbox

Post by DanRaisch »

What would be the purpose of this grouping?
Would it be different than using Thunderbird's "Unified Folders"? (Menu path View->Folders->Unified)
Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

DanRaisch wrote:What would be the purpose of this grouping?
Would it be different than using Thunderbird's "Unified Folders"? (Menu path View->Folders->Unified)
Surely it would be very different.

At first, AFAIK Thunderbird do not allow create multiple Unified folders, am I right? But this is actually the point of my question, isn't it? I do not request for the option to put all my messages into the single place, but my wish was quite opposite to it: I wish to hold my work, private etc accounts messages separately each from another.

The second, "Unified folder" - it is how your mail client handles your messages. Grouping accounts in the folder tree - it is how you mail client displays your folders. It is two different things, isn't it?
Personally me (and obviously the most of multiple mail accounts users) do not like the idea of huddling all my incoming and send message into the single pile, but I do prefer to handle every account messages separately. But I'd need some way to quickly find the specific account among those tens accs in the folder pane.

You could find some minutes to try Postbox, which is based on the more or less same source code. This app is free... for trial period.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You could find some minutes to try Postbox, which is based on the more or less same source code. This app is free... for trial period.
No thanks. I have no need for that level of complexity.

Have you tried creating custom views and defining one for each set of accounts by use "To"+"is" and then selecting the set of accounts you want together as a group? You might need to add the "View" field to your toolbar by right clicking on a blank spot on the toolbar and dragging the field from the palette to the bar.

If you want to separate the accounts from each other more definitively, the use of separate profiles might be worth considering. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager