How to delete incorrect FROM: address from dropdown?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
rprastein

How to delete incorrect FROM: address from dropdown?

Post by rprastein »

I've seen lots of tips online for deleting bad TO: addresses from the autocomplete dropdown when composing an e-mail, but nothing about dealing with a bad FROM address. How does one accomplish it? My father has two e-mail accounts with different providers. Somehow his gmail account got its settings changed to use the other account's SMTP server, and his attempt to send an e-mail, unsurprisingly, failed. I fixed that very quickly, but I see that the FROM dropdown contains both the gmail address with the correct smtp server, and the gmail address with the incorrect smtp server. How do I get rid of the bad entry, so he doesn't choose it by mistake?

Thanks,

Rebeccah
smsmith

Re: How to delete incorrect FROM: address from dropdown?

Post by smsmith »

Open account settings by using either Tools -> Account Settings or Hamburger button -> Options -> Account Settings.

In the left hand side of the dialog box, select the name of the account you are having trouble with. Now on the right hand side at the bottom, you should see a Manage Identities button. Click that button and in the next dialog, determine which identity is the one in error, select it and click the Delete button. Click Close on that dialog and OK on the account settings dialog to make the changes. Close and restart Thunderbird, and the errant entry should be gone.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.