mail.identity.default.archive_enabled

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
CBA

mail.identity.default.archive_enabled

Post by CBA »

It's my understanding that "mail.identity.default.archive_enabled" was introduced in Thunderbird 5.x to allow disabling of the Archive Function. Would this setting work in 3.1.20 ? And, if so, if I set it to "false" would that turn off archiving in 3.1.20 ? Thanks!
tanstaafl

Re: mail.identity.default.archive_enabled

Post by tanstaafl »

3.1.20 is too long ago to remember.

mail.identity.default.archive_enabled just sets the default to disabling archiving, when adding a new account. I don't believe it has any effect on existing accounts. Starting with Thunderbird 5.0 you can disable the built-in archive support on a per-account basis by unchecking "Keep message archives in" in Tools -> Account Setting -> Copies & Folders . Even if its enabled, it (in any version) normally does nothing unless you explicitly tell it to archive some messages. Its not like automated compacting where once a certain amount of space is wasted it compacts the folders.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Archiving_your_e-mail
CBA

Re: mail.identity.default.archive_enabled

Post by CBA »

tanstaafl wrote:mail.identity.default.archive_enabled just sets the default to disabling archiving, when adding a new account. I don't believe it has any effect on existing accounts. Starting with Thunderbird 5.0 you can disable the built-in archive support on a per-account basis...
Thanks. I just tried it and it doesn't have any effect (as you predicted). I know how it works, but I wish the archive functionality of Tb 5.x could be added to 3.1.20 by some about:config tweaks. Apparently not.

It seems the only solution to remove the "A" shortcut (and to avoid archiving by mistake) is to add the keyconfig add-on and change "A" to a more complex key combination. Thanks for your feedback.