BEWARE of Windows Defender!

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tommyzulu

BEWARE of Windows Defender!

Post by tommyzulu »

I believe that Windows Defender is a much improved virus scanner and on my new HP Windows 10 laptop I thought I would use this rather than Avast/Avira etc... BUT I have discovered that Defender slows down Thunderbird in an apalling way making it virtually unusable...

Using 52.6.0 (32 bit)

:!: :!: :!:
DanRaisch

Re: BEWARE of Windows Defender!

Post by DanRaisch »

Not seeing anything of the sort here under Win 10 so you may want to continue to investigate that performance issue.
PennsyNut

Post by PennsyNut »

When I was fed up with all the "upgrades" on Avast, etc. I tried W Defender. It works/I didn't have any slowdowns; but I found out there are better anti-viruses out there. I came on these forums and asked for advice. There are two that work with W 10 & Tb. I use Comodo. It seems to be working/for 5 months now. I haven't tried the other - Bitfinder. If you insist on W D, you'll have to find someone at Microsoft. I honestly don't think it's Tb. A suggestion. You might try another, and when you download, you automatically disable Defender. If that don't make any difference, i.e. another A/V slows Tb, at least you'll know the problem lies with Tb. The only trouble I had with an A/V actually affecting Tb was that Russian one. (And if/when you uninstall the other A/V you will have to re-instate the Defender. It's not an auto re-instate.)
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

tommyzulu wrote:I believe that Windows Defender is a much improved virus scanner and on my new HP Windows 10 laptop I thought I would use this rather than Avast/Avira etc... BUT I have discovered that Defender slows down Thunderbird in an apalling way making it virtually unusable...

Using 52.6.0 (32 bit)

:!: :!: :!:
Search for defender at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Te ... nce_Issues