email access via Thunderbird does not work

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
juno123

email access via Thunderbird does not work

Post by juno123 »

While in Canada Google requested that I change my email password. I did. Now Thunderbird sends the following message: "Login imap.googlemail.com failed"
and generates the following pop-up: supportgoogle.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754(Failure).
I can access my gmail account in the web browser, but not with Thunderbird. What is wrong ?
DanRaisch

Re: email access via Thunderbird does not work

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving from Firefox Support to Thunderbird Support.

Did you have the old password saved in Thunderbird? If so, did you delete that stored password and then close and restart TB before entering the new password when it was requested by the server?
Go to TOOLS > OPTIONS >SECURITY > PASSWORDS tab> SAVED PASSWORDS button and there you can delete old passwords. Restart Thunderbird to ensure that the stored password is cleared from memory. The next time you "Get Mail" Thunderbird will ask for the password and you can check the box to remember the value.
juno123

Post by juno123 »

I am not sure the old password was saved in TB. How do I get to "TOOLS>OPTIONS>SECURITY, etc. ..... I cannot open TB
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If there is a parent.lock file in your profile delete it. Its a temporary file that supposed to be deleted when Thundebrird shutsdown. If Thunderbird detects that file on startup it aborts, thinking another instance is already running.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_in_use

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folde ... 8.1_and_10 for how to find your profile.