Problem with new emails being put in onenew one

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
KlondikeGeoff

Problem with new emails being put in onenew one

Post by KlondikeGeoff »

This is a bit difficult to explain, but since TB 52.6.0 upgrade, every once in a while several (but not all) of my current emails get put together in one new email.

Only if I click on one of the emails in this new one, do they all reappear in my list as before.

Why is this, and how can i stop it?
makaiguy

Re: Problem with new emails being put in onenew one

Post by makaiguy »

A bit hard to tell from your description, but I suspect this is the result of messages being placed into threads which are collapsed to show only the initial post in the thread. Such threads will have a > to the left of the subject - click on it to expand the thread to show all messages in the message list. The first message will now show a v instead of > - click on it to collapse the thread back.

If you don't want messages to display as threaded: View | Sort by | Unthreaded

If you want to have all threads expanded: View | Threads | Expand All Threads (or just press *)
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
KlondikeGeoff

Post by KlondikeGeoff »

Many thanks, Doug, that sounds like the solution all right.

I am getting too old (90) to figure out these things anymore.

I got my first computer in 1981. Things have change somewhat :) .

Klondike
KlondikeGeoff

Post by KlondikeGeoff »

Oops, spoke (wrote) too soon. Under View, here is no "Sort By" or "Threads" listed.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

You ARE looking in TBird's View, not FFox's View, right?

Got my first PC in '83, but I'm a couple of decades behind you on longevity.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
KlondikeGeoff

Post by KlondikeGeoff »

makaiguy wrote:You ARE looking in TBird's View, not FFox's View, right?

You ARE looking in TBird's View, not FFox's View, right?

Right. As long as I can click on any one in the thread, they all come back, so no problem I can't live with

Most people are.

My first one was a Commodore Vic 20. Then the 128 and then when the first 286 came out, built one myself. Back when it was cheaper to buy all the parts than to buy an IBM

You?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

On my TB 52.6.0 installation:
makaiguy wrote:If you don't want messages to display as threaded: View | Sort by | Unthreaded
If you want to have all threads expanded: View | Threads | Expand All Threads (or just press *)
Doug Wilson
KlondikeGeoff

Post by KlondikeGeoff »

Thanks for the screen shots.

The initial problem has mysteriously disappeared as it mysteriously started.

I did finally figure out why the Menu Bar does not appear.t.

Years ago I found a neat little free program called "Title Time." It not only puts the time and date on the home screen in any corner you choose, but it puts a bar across the top of any program I open or screen I use. In TB, for some reason, it covers the menu bar, but strangely, not on FF. It shows the program you are at, and again the time and date, so it is always handy no matter where I am surfing.

I also remembered that if the mouse cursor hovers over this blue bar, momentarily the View or whatever shows up. With TB, for years I have had no reason to use any of these dropdown menus, so just forgot about it completely. My only excuse for this lapse of memory is old age.

Anyway, "Unthreaded" is already checked, so still don't know why it was not working before. Should it come back, now, thanks to you, Doug, I will know what to do.