Confused how to send a BCC list

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
emaharg

Confused how to send a BCC list

Post by emaharg »

I created a list in TB.
I then sent a group message to the list - placing the list NOT as To, but as a BCC

The entire list is then sent to every person, with their full email addresses showing as BCC:but the to line as "undisclosed recipients". In otherwords, every recipient is disclosed in the list!

What did i do wrong? In this case it is not important, but it could be..

see screenshot here

runs Chrome 71, Thunderbird 60.5 32bit, Windows 7 (64bit), uses TB with POP not IMAP
emaharg

Re: Confused how to send a BCC list

Post by emaharg »

ps I followed thse instructions "Select the code listed as "Forum Thumbnail", copy the code and paste it in the thread where you report your problem." but my thumbnail does not seem to show. see above. What am I doing wrong here too? !
runs Chrome 71, Thunderbird 60.5 32bit, Windows 7 (64bit), uses TB with POP not IMAP
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/BCC . It's possible the messages were sent correctly if you were only looking at your copy in the Sent folder. You really need to BCC yourself and look at the new message in the inbox to see was it sent the right way.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

It is remotely possible that your provider's SMTP server is incorrectly figured and is not handling bcc correctly. This was more common decades ago, but is pretty rare now. Send yourself a test copy as taanstafl suggests to find out.

Some systems (gmail being one) will not send copies of messages back via a mail client like TBird to the same account that sent them, so you may need to log into your mail account via your browser to see your 'received' copy.

Also note that sending a message with no direct "To" address increases its chances of getting classified as spam at the receiving end.

[Edited to fix typos. Gawd I hate typing on mobile device virtual keyboards ...]
Last edited by makaiguy on March 2nd, 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

@emaharg,
Hi,
Somehow, the option for disabling BBCode was checked.
Your image now displays correctly.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
emaharg

Post by emaharg »

THIS HAS ALL BEEN VERY HELPFUL. In particular from Makaiguy has helped me understand what is happening - he wrote "
Some systems (gmail being one) will not send copies of messages back via a mail client like TBird to tbe same account that sent them, so you may need to log into your mail account via your browser to see your 'received' copy.

and indeed what I was looking at WAS my own sent message.

thanks, and good bye for now..