Sent message appears in Inbox?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
FrankSMS

Sent message appears in Inbox?

Post by FrankSMS »

I just set up a new install of Thunderbird and I just noticed that when I send an email out of any one of my email accounts it shows up in the Inbox at the top of the list but not the account. If I send it to myself I see one copy in the Inbox for that account (as it should be) and 1 in Sent. But in the top Inbox for all accounts (at the top of the list) it shows up twice instead of once. I've gone through the Account Settings looking for a "cc to myself" but don't see anything. You'd think it would be under Composition and Addressing.

Just noticed that if I save a Draft that shows up in the Inbox as well! That's a new one.
DanRaisch

Re: Sent message appears in Inbox?

Post by DanRaisch »

It sounds like that might be a Gmail IMAP account. Is that correct?
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Nope, though I think did have that problem with that exact type of account a few weeks ago on a different install. With this its happening on all my accounts from several different email providers. And I think the Gmail IMAP one showed up in the actual email account inbox whereas this is only showing up in the grouped Inbox on top. So was that a Gmail glitch? Any way of fixing it?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That "glitch" is not in Thunderbird but in the non-standard way that Gmail deals with IMAP accounts.
You refer to a "grouped Inbox on top". Are you using the Unified folder view? (That is, do you have View->Folders->Unified selected?)
Under menu path Tools->Account Settings->do you have "Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to" selected?
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Yes, unified is selected.

> Under menu path Tools->Account Settings->do you have "Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to" selected?

No. Not selected. Should it be?
And if selected will it move things around or will this only be effective for everything from now on?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not selected. Should it be?
No, I was asking to see if that was causing the messages to locate as they do.
Changing it would only be effective on message sent from this point on.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Any other ideas?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

At this point I don't have any other suggestions for you. Perhaps another member will come up with something.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

First, I'd suggest doing away with "Unified" folders as that can confuse what is really where, especially for a relatively new user. Change View | Folders to "All" (at least for now, if you end up preferring Unified view you can always go back).

Under Account settings for each account click "Copies & Folders". Under "When sending messages, automatically:", Where are you telling TBird to place the copy of your sent message? Does your specified destination folder exist?

Personally, I PREFER to have my sent messages go into the Inbox via the above setting. That way when I view in threaded view (View | Sort by | Threaded) the entire conversation is grouped together. I also prefer the "Copies & Folders" setting "Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to" for the same reason.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Makaiguy, thank you for those good tips.
I've changed the Unified setting to All so I can better see what's going on with each account.

I think you nailed the problem. I have the sent message placed in the account holder name instead of Sent in that account holder. What I cannot fathom is why the default setting would be in the Inbox. Who would want their Sent message placed in their Inbox? I have several accounts. Maybe I changed a global setting that affected them all? Is this possible?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

A. The default for saving outgoing messages is not the Inbox but the Sent folder.
B. Doug described his reason for having outgoing messages saved to the Inbox: "Personally, I PREFER to have my sent messages go into the Inbox via the above setting. That way when I view in threaded view (View | Sort by | Threaded) the entire conversation is grouped together. I also prefer the "Copies & Folders" setting "Place replies in the folder of the message being replied to" for the same reason.". It's a matter of personal preference in regard to viewing messages as conversations rather than relying on the quoted content of past in messages in replies to newer messages.
FrankSMS

Post by FrankSMS »

Ah yes....using threaded view so you see the back and forth in the conversation. That is great. Very practical. Who wants to jump between folders? I've always avoided threaded view but it does have its uses. Guess it depends on what kind of conversations you're having with people. Thanks Dan....great options to try.