MozillaZine

Office 2016 and AppData/Local/Temp

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
milomak

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 12:56 pm

So in Thunderbird extracts files to this location.

I am using Windows 10 Home and cannot get the location accepted in Trusted Center

I've seen some posts about using gpedit.msc. But as far as i can see there is no Office Conversion Tool for Office 2016.

How do I solve this issue?

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 1st, 2018, 7:50 pm

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_p ... hunderbird for how to move your profile. Your profile stores all of your data (any downloaded mail, address books, settings, installed add-ons, saved passwords etc.). Normally the only thing it doesn't have is any mail that is only stored in remote folders for a IMAP account.

The default profile location is C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\ . My experience is that Thunderbird may also have a similarly named directory in Local but its an artifact of using Gecko as the rendering engine. That brings along a lot of other behavior that makes sense only for Firefox. It creates child directories for a cache and smart browsing in it even though they're not used. None of your real data is stored there. Thunderbird also creates temporary files within the temporary files directory set by Windows. That is typically C:\Users\windows username\AppData\Local\Temp

Lets back up for a second. What problem are you trying to solve (that you can think you can solve by accessing this location)? Are you trying to migrate from Thunderbird to Outlook?

milomak

Post Posted March 2nd, 2018, 4:53 am

My TB profile is already in another location (c:\profiles\thunderbird)

The problem is that when opening an attachment, it sends it to the temporary directory - C:\Users\windows username\AppData\Local\Temp

Office 2016 doesn't like this a directory from which it opens files

So I would like to change the temporary directory

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 2nd, 2018, 9:26 am

Thunderbird uses the temporary file directory set by the operating system. You can easily change that. See https://www.howtogeek.com/285710/how-to ... her-drive/ . That explains how to change it to another drive but the same instructions can be used to change it to a different directory on the existing drive.

I assume the problem occurs because you are trying to have Thunderbird call Office 2016 to open some attachments. I've never used Trusted Center. https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 3d044e05c8 doesn't appear to document any settings about file locations. However I found https://superuser.com/questions/693871/ ... ust-center which describes how to set a trusted location for Word. Perhaps you need to set that type of setting within each Office application.

Don't overlook the possibility of modifying your Thunderbird shortcut to launch a two line batch file instead of Thunderbird. The first line would set the temporary files directory to a location dedicated to Thunderbird by setting a environmental variable. The second line would launch Thunderbird. That would be more secure than using the systems temporary files directory.

milomak

Post Posted March 4th, 2018, 10:42 am

The batch file way of dealing with it sounds interesting. does it just set if for tb?

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 4th, 2018, 11:50 am

Yes. Actually it should be three lines to be safe. It could be something like the following If you log into windows as milomak and created a temporary files directory for just Thunderbird at C:\users\milomak\temp. Not the best location, I choose it for simplicity. The double quotes on the last line are critical due to the embedded spaces in the path.

set TMP=C:\users\milomak\temp
set TEMP=C:\users\milomak\temp
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"

in a Thunderbird.bat file. The filename can be anything, but it needs a .bat file extension. Create it with a text editor like Notepad, not a word processor.

milomak

Post Posted March 5th, 2018, 4:43 pm

So my bat file looks like this
Code: Select all
set TMP=D:\Downloads\Temp
set TEMP=D:\Downloads\Temp
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe"

Opens up TB

It seems that Office 2016 doesn't want one or both of TMP and TEMP as a Trusted Location. Switching Trusted Location off doesn't seem to provide any benefit.

Given profile locations can be changed, why can't the temp location be changed in about:config?

tanstaafl

Post Posted March 5th, 2018, 6:04 pm

"Given profile locations can be changed, why can't the temp location be changed in about:config?"

It could have been, but I suspect there was sufficient demand to add that feature. However, your problem seems to be that you can't find a location that you can tell Office 2016 to use as a trusted location. Try naming the directory to something that doesn't use the string temp or tmp. They could be doing something stupid such as searching whether the path includes the substring "temp".

Return to Thunderbird Support