Why does Thunderbird chronically quit sending emails?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
leefoo

Why does Thunderbird chronically quit sending emails?

Post by leefoo »

I love TBird and I've had it for 6 years, but it irks me in that, periodically, I can't send emails or reply to emails. I have no idea why it does this. I change NOTHING and NOTHING changes.

I have uninstalled reinstalled.
I have deleted and added the SMTP.

Nothing works. I have not idea how I got it 'fixed' the last time.

I can send and receive with other, 'less robust' email clients, plus I can send/reply on AOL/Verizon. So, it isn't them.

But T'bird drops it for some reason. I google for fixes and nothing shows that I haven't already tried.

I have the latest version, everything. I am about ready to spring the $100 for Outlook.

Can anyone help? Thx
DanRaisch

Re: Why does Thunderbird chronically quit sending emails?

Post by DanRaisch »

I can't send emails or reply to emails. I have no idea why it does this. I change NOTHING and NOTHING changes.
Well, nothing changes in Thunderbird. That doesn't mean that nothing has changed on the server side to name just one part of the overall system.
Who is the email provider?
What error message are you receiving when trying unsuccessfully to send?
How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
leefoo

Post by leefoo »

DanRaisch...I appreciate the reply. As I noted, it is AOL/Verizon. I'm getting a 'Time Out' message because it takes forever to send it. When I use 'EmClient' software, set up with the exact settings (which as I noted have NEVER changed in T'bird), the message goes without a hitch.

Also, just before I logged off after sending this message, I tried sending a test email via T'bird. This time it went successfully. Go figger. :)

After just now logging back onto my computer, EmClient sent a test email successfully. T'bird timed out. All within about 1 minute of each other. I highly doubt it was Verizon/AOL's fault. That'd be awfully coincidental.

T'bird is set up exactly as it should be, as I have had no difficulty sending emails with it up until this last week when it started 'acting up'. Since one email client can send successfully and the other can send it sometimes (and this has happened before) I am guessing the issue is with T'bird. Is that a reasonable conclusion? :)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I am guessing the issue is with T'bird. Is that a reasonable conclusion?
Maybe, and maybe not. What security software are you running on that system? Sometimes security software can fail to properly recognize an updated version of Thunderbird as a previously approved program and can cause significant performance problems?

Assuming by "I can send/reply on AOL/Verizon" you mean sending from their web mail page, that's not a legitimate test of Thunderbird as different servers are involved and security software that might be impacting Thunderbird would not be involved in the same way.
leefoo

Post by leefoo »

Thx again for your reply. I run Avast Anti-Virus and have since I have owned my computer (5 yrs).

Unless T'bird updates automatically, I can't remember the last time I updated it.

I realize that sending from the web isn't a true T'bird test. All I was saying is that I can send from the web and from EmClient without difficulty.

Btw, I sent a reply last night as mentioned (10:15). This morning, as I type this, it is hanging again. I'm at my wits end. I just sent the message via EMClient with no issues.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Check the settings in Avast (which may also have been updated recently) and ensure that the scanning of outgoing messages is disabled in that security program.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think you can configure Avast to exclude scanning certain files . You might experiment with telling it not to scan the nsmail.eml, nsmail.tmp, nsmail.html files in the MozillaMailNews subdirectory of the temporary files directory. Those are temporary files created when you compose a message.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Files_and_fol ... hunderbird