Unable download Gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
qim

Unable download Gmail

Post by qim »

Hi

I had a Gmail account (no probs). Then I decided to add another, apparently joined to the first. I get the emails from the first, but not from the second. I get a message

Sending of password for user xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com did not succeed. Mail server pop.gmail.com responded: Web login required: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754

Yet the password is correct. It open the Gmail page where I can see all arriving messages, and because I use Poppeeper to preview all messages from different accounts (Yahoo, Gmail, my provider's, my website) I also get them there. So, the password is correct not only to open Gmail, but also a third-party like PopPeeper. So, why does it not open in TB?

The Settings for the account in TB are identical to the other accounts.

Help...
Last edited by DanRaisch on March 2nd, 2018, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules.
DanRaisch

Re: Unable download Gmail

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, the error message doesn't refer to a problem with the password. Have you confirmed that the second account has been set to permit POP access by an email client? That's found in Gmail's webmail settings.
qim

Post by qim »

First and second accounts are identical in both Gmail and TB, and they are set for POP access
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Did you enable "allow less secure apps to access your account." for the second account as the link suggested? That would be using a browser to login to a different google account.
qim

Post by qim »

I looked for that option in both TB and Gmail and could not find it. Where is it? But if PopPeeper can access the message in the server, why can't TB?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Its not in TB or Gmail. You login into https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps using a browser.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

'Web login required' tells you to log in via your web browser to that account. It could be there is a CAPTCHA code you need to clear manually to establish access to the account. If that's it, you should be able to access via TBird after that.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
qim

Post by qim »

Well, I thought that I understood and opened a Goole Chrome page, went into Settings, logged in but could not see anything about CAPTCHA codes or anything that seemed to resolve the problem.

If PopPeeper using the same password can download from Gmail, why can't TB? If TB can download from Gmail on more than one account, why can't it do it if the account in question is part of a "duet". It seems to me to be a TB problem,
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you have a captcha you're presented with a dialog box for that when you try to log into webmail. You wouldn't see it logging into google.

I can't speculate why PopPeeper is uneffected without knowing details of how PopPeeper logins and downloads messages over the network. There are plenty of Thunderbird users who have multiple Gmail POP accounts and have no problems, so whether or not Thunderbird should do a better job of preventing your problem, you're probably running into some sort of configuration problem.

Please copy and paste the "mail and news accounts" section from help -> troubleshooting information into a post. Don't bother with the other sections, they'd just be useless clutter. Please uncheck "include account names" as a precaution before you copy it.

What anti-virus scanner do you use?
Anything special about your system such as using a proxy, a vpn etc. that might be useful to know?
Do you have a problem sending messages from the POP account that can't login?
qim

Post by qim »

OK, this is what you requested, I think. Please note that there are 3 Gmail accounts: the first is my old mother's
and unaffected. The next two are the ones that share some sort of connection, The first works fine; the other
that I added is the one with problems. On a couple of occasions TB downloads messages, but I don't know why.
Most of the time it does not.

Application Basics

Name: Thunderbird
Version: 52.6.0
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.6.0
Profile Folder: Open Folder

(Local drive)
Application Build ID: 20180123185941
Enabled Plugins: about:plugins
Build Configuration: about:buildconfig
Memory Use: about:memory
Profiles: about:profiles

Mail and News Accounts
account1:
INCOMING: account1, , (pop3) correu.andorra.ad:110, alwaysSTARTTLS, passwordCleartext
OUTGOING: , correu.andorra.ad:465, SSL, passwordCleartext, true

account2:
INCOMING: account2, , (none) Local Folders, plain, passwordCleartext

account3:
INCOMING: account3, , (pop3) pop.mail.yahoo.com:995, SSL, passwordCleartext
OUTGOING: , smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465, SSL, passwordCleartext, true

account4:
INCOMING: account4, , (pop3) ormond.footholds.net:995, SSL, passwordCleartext
OUTGOING: , ormond.footholds.net:465, SSL, passwordCleartext, true

account5:
INCOMING: account5, , (pop3) ormond.footholds.net:995, SSL, passwordCleartext
OUTGOING: , ormond.footholds.net:465, SSL, passwordCleartext, true

account6:
INCOMING: account6, , (imap) imap-mail.outlook.com:993, SSL, passwordCleartext
OUTGOING: , smtp-mail.outlook.com:587, alwaysSTARTTLS, passwordCleartext, true

account9:
INCOMING: account9, , (pop3) correu.andorra.ad:110, alwaysSTARTTLS, passwordCleartext
OUTGOING: , correu.andorra.ad:465, SSL, passwordCleartext, true

account12:
INCOMING: account12, , (pop3) pop.gmail.com:995, SSL, passwordCleartext
OUTGOING: , smtp.gmail.com:465, SSL, passwordCleartext, true

account13:
INCOMING: account13, , (pop3) pop.gmail.com:995, SSL, passwordCleartext

account14:
INCOMING: account14, , (pop3) pop.gmail.com:995, SSL, passwordCleartext
qim

Post by qim »

I don't know why there are 14 accounts. In "Account Settings" I only have 9

qim
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I assume account 14 is the broken POP gmail account.

mail.accountmanager.accounts in the config editor lists the active accounts. What is it set to? You could edit it to remove unwanted accounts. I'd backup your prefs.js file beforehand if you do that.

I'm going to edit your post to remove the unnecessary sections I had asked you to omit as they cause line wrapping problems.

On my PC the authentication methods are set to normal password, not passwordCleartext. I've never seen passwordCleartext as an option either in the list box in the account settings or used in the output of help -> troubleshooting information. Any idea why the difference?
qim

Post by qim »

Yes, the last one is the problem one.
No idea why ClearText. It's all Chinese to me!

Where do I find this: mail.accountmanager.accounts in the config editor lists the active accounts
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The button to launch the config editor is near the bottom of tools -> options -> advanced -> general. Just enter mail.accountmanager.accounts in the search field.
qim

Post by qim »

Is this what you wanted?

mail.accountmanager.accounts;account1,account2,account3,account4,account5,account6,account9,account12,account13,account14