Unable download Gmail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: Unable download Gmail

Post by tanstaafl »

Yes. That seems to match what was in the troubleshooting information. If you actually delete an account the old account id is not reused. So having nine accounts with the last account id being 14 is fine.

Do you have a problem sending messages from the POP account that can't login?
qim

Post by qim »

Yes, same problem. Asks for password and I get the same message
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That's useful to know. If you are using the password wizard I suggest you delete the saved password for both the POP and SMTP server for that account using tools -> options -> security -> passwords -> saved passwords , exit (since the deleted passwords are still in memory), restart and when prompted enter the passwords again (checking the box to save the passwords).

Did you change the password for that account using a browser shortly before you started having problems with it in Thunderbird?
qim

Post by qim »

Hi. we're obviously on different time zones...

Something strange and interesting: the entry for the problem account is NOT in the list saved passwords. AT ALL. The entry for the original linked account is there TWICE, but one of the entries instead of the password has a long string of characters (50 or more) made up of caps and small letters and numbers...

I'll wait for your reply before I delete the entries. The other one is an account for my wife's Gmail which I used in the past. I can delete it too.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

If you are using a Gmail IMAP account with OAuth2 for authentication it also stores the token. I looked at my saved passwords and I have both a imap://imap.gmail.com entry (saved password) and a oauth://accounts.google.com entry (token). You'd need to delete both to really delete the saved password.
qim

Post by qim »

I never use IMAP, but on more than one occasion in the process of adding an account I let the automatic features create it as IMAP. which I then change back to POP. That may explain the tokens. Anyway, I have now deleted them and the situation remains the same with the same error coning up

I've aldo cleaned up the saved passwords as there were many double and even trble entris, but it has made no change to the problem account
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I realize you want to stick with a POP account, but do you have the same problem using a IMAP account using OAuth2? The reason why I'm suggesting you try that is I still think its a configuration issue, but am at a loss what else to try. POP accounts don't support OAuth2, and if you use OAuth2 the allow less secure apps settings is irrelevant. A IMAP account would also let you skip over a "bad" message that causes a logjam with a POP account (because it is not smart enough to warn you and then skip over it to the next message) by just selecting the next new message.

If you can manage to login and fetch mail using IMAP that would confirm that the POP account had some type of config error, even if we haven't figured out what it is yet.

You can have both a POP and IMAP account for the same mailbox, though you'd normally not keep that type of configuration long term.
qim

Post by qim »

I think, I may have found the answer...

I had both accounts open in their website, which was the easiest way to keep tabs on incoming emails. Now that I signed out of both online, I managed to download emails in both accounts onto TB. I am going to test further

FALSE ALARM: it's the saame, BUT it did download when I first closed the accounts online