Not Responding...

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
a.k.a. Djeau

Not Responding...

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

I am experiencing frequent "Not Responding" messages that are becoming more frequent. These message are prelude to the crashing the application.

I am running the latest versions of Thunderbird and Windows 10. Additionally, I have run multiple antivirus and anti-spyware tools, and everything comes up clean as the proverbial whistle.

Can anyone give me a clue to what is happening and perhaps a CURE? Thank you in advance for any help!
Joe/Joseph/Dad/Pop/Poppop/”Djeau”
DanRaisch

Re: Not Responding...

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

If you actually crash, please post your crash IDs. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... sh-reports

> I have run multiple antivirus and anti-spyware tools, and everything comes up clean as the proverbial whistle.

Note, you should only have one of each active at a time - malware and AV.
a.k.a. Djeau

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

DanRaisch wrote:Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
I ran T-bird in Safe Mode for a couple of hours with NO problems. Went back to normal operation and got the Not Responding message within a minute or two. Another curiosity: when I tried to X-out of the NR message, T-bird hung completely.

What now?
a.k.a. Djeau

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

wsmwk wrote:If you actually crash, please post your crash IDs. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/mo ... sh-reports

> I have run multiple antivirus and anti-spyware tools, and everything comes up clean as the proverbial whistle.

Note, you should only have one of each active at a time - malware and AV.
I should have made myself clearer. But, I never run more than one Av or Aspy at a time. My preferences are Windows Defender (runs all the time in background) and/or Malwarebytes and Glary Utilities (on demand ONLY!) The combination has worked successfully (for me) for several years.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Mozilla Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode which will run with default theme and with all extensions and a few other things* disabled. If the problem clears up under Safe Mode, of the things disabled in Safe Mode, the most likely culprit is a theme or extension.

Now you can investigate which one is the problem by disabling one or more at a time and restarting the program. When the problem clears up, you'll know it is caused by one of the disabled ones, and you can refine further.

* Per the link DanRaisch gave you in the first response to your post:

Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:

All extensions are disabled.
The default theme is used, without a persona.
The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled.
The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
The default toolbar layout is used.
Hardware acceleration is disabled.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
a.k.a. Djeau

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

makaiguy wrote:* Per the link DanRaisch gave you in the first response to your post:

Safe Mode temporarily affects the following:

All extensions are disabled.
The default theme is used, without a persona.
The Just-in-time (JIT) JavaScript compiler is disabled.
The userChrome.css and userContent.css files are ignored.
The default toolbar layout is used.
Hardware acceleration is disabled.
Well I am BACK! I have experimented with going to Safe Mode, removing (turning-off?) extensions and most of the other suggestions, with no lasting effects.

The ones I have not done was that of disabling the Hardware Accelerator - I don't know what it is or how to disable it.

I was considering uninstalling then reinstalling Thunderbird, However I can't chance the possibility of losing my saved emails, address book, et.al.

Suggestions MOST welcomed!!!!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I was considering uninstalling then reinstalling Thunderbird, However I can't chance the possibility of losing my saved emails, address book, et.al.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.

Disable hardware acceleration using TB menu path Tools->Options->General tab->uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available.
a.k.a. Djeau

Post by a.k.a. Djeau »

DanRaisch wrote:
Uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such as account settings, message files, etc is stored and where most problems originate.

Disable hardware acceleration using TB menu path Tools->Options->General tab->uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available.
Well, "hardware acceleration" was NOT checked. At least now I know where to find it. Thanks to you!

As for Uninstalling TB, then re-installing it; do you think that is worth giving it a shot - or not?

I thought at first that I could just live with the problem, but it getting to be a pain in the nether regions. The screen has "grayed-out" during writing a message, then I get a Windows message asking if I want to close TB or send then a failure report.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As for Uninstalling TB, then re-installing it; do you think that is worth giving it a shot - or not?
Usually that's not helpful. If you wish to try it you can, of course, but be sure to back up the profile before doing so, just to have belt and suspenders.

Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird
Run the installer.

Note that your saved messages, address books, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.

This thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p5239885 has a more detailed version of the above instructions if needed.