Line break isues.

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
OneIrateTypist

Line break isues.

Post by OneIrateTypist »

Hello all.

I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find a solution. The attached picture shows the issue. It's driving me nuts. I'm trying to make outgoing emails look...normal. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
OIT

DanRaisch

Re: Line break isues.

Post by DanRaisch »

How are you composting the outgoing message? As HTML or plain text? Check under Tools->Account Settings->Composition & Addressing->is "Compose message in HTML format" checked?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

HTML text will wrap to the width of the window. Looks to me that this was entered as text with a hard carriage return at 70-72 or so characters, but then displayed on a window that is much narrower, around 50 characters.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you viewing that message in the compose window or the copy in the Sent folder?
Do you have the Thunderbird window sized at full screen width or reduced?
OneIrateTypist

Post by OneIrateTypist »

Hello all. And thanks for the responses.
DanRaisch wrote:How are you composting the outgoing message? As HTML or plain text? Check under Tools->Account Settings->Composition & Addressing->is "Compose message in HTML format" checked?
It was checked. I tried unchecking it and sent a test email. Same result.
makaiguy wrote:HTML text will wrap to the width of the window. Looks to me that this was entered as text with a hard carriage return at 70-72 or so characters, but then displayed on a window that is much narrower, around 50 characters.
No carriage return. The screen shot is from an iPhone, but it displays exactly the same in full screen Thunderbird.
DanRaisch wrote:Are you viewing that message in the compose window or the copy in the Sent folder?
Do you have the Thunderbird window sized at full screen width or reduced?
I'm sending them to myself and reviewing them in full-screen Thunder bird and on my iPhone.

Thanks again for your time folks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General->click on the "Config Editor" button.
Enter plain_text.wrap_long_lines in the "Search" field. Is that value set to "True"?
Enter mail.wrap_long_lines in the "Search" field. Is that value set to "True"?
Enter mailnews.wraplength in the "Search" field. What is that value set to?
OneIrateTypist

Post by OneIrateTypist »

DanRaisch wrote:Use menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General->click on the "Config Editor" button.
Enter plain_text.wrap_long_lines in the "Search" field. Is that value set to "True"?
Enter mail.wrap_long_lines in the "Search" field. Is that value set to "True"?
Enter mailnews.wraplength in the "Search" field. What is that value set to?
plain_text.wrap_long_lines=false
mail.wrap_long_lines=true
mailnews.wraplength=deafult

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you composing the messages in Thunderbird itself or pasting in text composed in a different application?
OneIrateTypist

Post by OneIrateTypist »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you composing the messages in Thunderbird itself or pasting in text composed in a different application?
I'm composing them in Thunderbird.
OneIrateTypist

Post by OneIrateTypist »

Update:
Following the advice I found here, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... wer-972393, I changed "mailnews.wraplength =" to "0" and it seemed to fix the problem. I have no idea why I need to do this. It seems like it should be the default setting. Maybe I'm missing something though. Thanks for the help all.