Mozilla Thunderbird SLOW after building new machine

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
licenseduser001

Mozilla Thunderbird SLOW after building new machine

Post by licenseduser001 »

I built a new AMD Threadripper 1950x machine back in January with 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM and a Samsung 860 Pro 256GB SSD. Everything loads lightning fast except Mozilla Thunderbird. Mozilla Thunderbird takes 6 seconds to load each and every time. I have tried every tip I can find and still no solution. I am currently using POSTBOX 5.0.24 and it loads in one second. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated as 6 seconds each time I load Mozilla Thunderbird is unacceptable. On a side note, Mozilla Firefox is lightning fast and works properly each and every time I load it.

Thanks

JG - Newport, Michigan USA
DanRaisch

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird SLOW after building new machine

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
What security software is running on that system?
licenseduser001

Post by licenseduser001 »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
What security software is running on that system?
Setup as IMAP with Gmail. Worked fine last summer until an update and has dog slow ever since.
I really doubt it has anything to do with my new system, just mentioned it to cover all bases.

No security software of any kind.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As a test, does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Also as a test, disable both Global Search & Indexing under Tools->Options->Advanced->General and "Allow Windows Search to search messages" at that same menu path.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_-_Thunderbird might help.

My first thought would be its due to either an add-on , your anti-virus scanner (McAfee is a constant source of problems) or somehow Direct2D hardware acceleration got enabled (not recommended even with a good graphics card). Look near the end of help -> troubleshooting information to check if Direct2D hardware acceleration is enabled.