cant send emails because Idk my authentication email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
WannaCry

cant send emails because Idk my authentication email

Post by WannaCry »

Hi i have been having problems sending emails and I have been using this site for help. I made some progress but now I am stuck because I dont know the authentication password. I thought it was the same password for my email but it is not.
DanRaisch

Re: cant send emails because Idk my authentication email

Post by DanRaisch »

What error message are you seeing when trying to send mail?
Who is the email provider?
What settings do you currently have entered under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoig Server (SMTP)?
WannaCry

Post by WannaCry »

when I try and send a email it asks me for a password. I don't know the password so when I tried to change the authentication method from Normal password to no authentication I get the error 5.7.0 Authentication required prior to MAIL/SAML/SEND/SOML. my email provider is icloud. and my outgoing server (SMTP) settings are Description: "blank", Server Name: smtp.mail.me.com, Port: 587, connection security: STARTTLS, authentication method: Normal password
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The password for sending should be the same password entered to receive messages.
WannaCry

Post by WannaCry »

DanRaisch wrote:The password for sending should be the same password entered to receive messages.
idk that password either lol. is there a way for me to reset it? I don't remember making a password for thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It's not a Thunderbird password. To get or send messages Thunderbird must connect to your email provider's servers. The password for getting or sending messages would be the same password you would use if you access your email account using a browser to connect to the provider's web mail page.
WannaCry

Post by WannaCry »

DanRaisch wrote:It's not a Thunderbird password. To get or send messages Thunderbird must connect to your email provider's servers. The password for getting or sending messages would be the same password you would use if you access your email account using a browser to connect to the provider's web mail page.
Ya I just doubled checked and my icloud password is still not working.just to make sure my icloud password is the password your talking about right?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What comes after the @ symbol in your email address?
WannaCry

Post by WannaCry »

DanRaisch wrote:What comes after the @ symbol in your email address?
icloud.com
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What settings do you have entered for that account in Thunderbird under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings?

Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
WannaCry

Post by WannaCry »

DanRaisch wrote:What settings do you have entered for that account in Thunderbird under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings?

Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
server name: localhost
Port number: I don't see a port number but in the settings under outgoing server is 587.
I also don't see Authentication method or connection security under server settings but under outgoing server Connection: STARTTLS, Authentication: Normal password
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1164736 mentions that after June 15, 2017 you have to use 2 factor authentication and an app specific password with iCloud. See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1174729 for how to create one and what settings to use with Thunderbird.

https://www.macworld.com/article/319743 ... u-use.html
WannaCry

I cant send mail

Post by WannaCry »

Hi im trying to send mail but I dont get any error messages. when I click send the bottom just bets faded out and I cant click it any more. It dosen't even try to send, I can still edit the message. I am trying to encrypt it with Enigmail if that could be part of the problem.
tanstaafl

Re: I cant send mail

Post by tanstaafl »

Were you prompted for the passphrase?

Have you ever sent or received any encrypted messages (with enigmail and this profile) before this problem occurred?

What version of Thunderbird, what version of enigmail and what version of gnupg are you using? "The latest version of Enigmail, v1.9, does not support GnuPG 1.4 anymore"

I suggest you start by seeing if you can send anything with that account without involving enigmail (no encryption, no digital signing).