Sent TO: field

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
HereAgain

Sent TO: field

Post by HereAgain »

Hi, I had to reinstall Windows and then Thunderbird. I installed the newest version. I would like to know if it was changed or if this install went horribly wrong. When I click "write" the box comes up and then when I click in the TO: field, the address book does not come up so I can choose the persons name. It used to do that, now nothing happens. How do I fix this? Thank you for any help.
tanstaafl

Re: Sent TO: field

Post by tanstaafl »

You said the address book was not displayed when you click in the To: field. I suspect you really meant there were no suggestions being made by auto-complete in a popup list box. There is a big difference. Check tools -> options -> composition -> addressing -> address autocompletion and "local address books" are checked. If not, please check the checkbox for both of them.

If that doesn't help:

Are you using the same profile as before? Normally one way to tell is if you have the same accounts, mail and address books as before. But you might have the same profile and somehow have lost the contents of your address books. Is auto-complete not working your only problem?

Is your personal address book empty?

Ideally you would have used the same windows username as before and told it not to do a clean install of windows but to keep existing installed applications when re-installing. If you did that Thunderbird should have been unaffected. What type of choices did you make when re-installing Windows?

Sorry about all of the questions but its not clear what your configuration is, and it makes a big difference. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Posting_a_scr ... _the_forum if you need to post a screen shot.
HereAgain

Post by HereAgain »

Thank you for responding.

After the re installation of Windows all my programs were gone. The newest Thunderbird was set up, and most important contacts manually put back in. I am using the same accts from the past, but NOT from a saved file/folder. That would have made things easier. But I am old school and always keep things saved on paper, so I didn't lose them.

I did read something on here that said you have to start writing the name in the To: field and then autocomplete will do it's thing and that is working on mine, as I found out just now. But in my old configuration if I right clicked in the To: field the address book would come up. I'm beginning to wonder if my old configuration was the one messed up and wasn't supposed to be doing that??! So I got used to that. Now that I know that autocomplete will work I am cool with it now. Thank you for your help!
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

HereAgain wrote:... But in my old configuration if I right clicked in the To: field the address book would come up.
I have never seen this behavior. Are you thinking of a Contacts sidebar down the left side of the window when you are composing a message? You can turn this on, when in the message composition window, via View | Contacts Sidebar (or just F9). This setting should be remembered from session to session.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers