Configuring Message Filters

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Noetic One

Configuring Message Filters

Post by Noetic One »

Tuesday April 3 2018, 7:38 AM

Hi All,

I hope you're all doing fine today, but I have a problem. :(

I have a web site and the host offers "Spam Filter Pro" as an aid to catch junk mail. If it 'catches' what it thinks is spam, it adds ***SPAM*** at the start of the 'Subject' line. This is good because all you need do is set up a filter and create a rule that says: "If Subject begins with ***SPAM*** Move Message to Junk on Local folders" for TB's SpamAssassin to use.

I have found that the default 'sensitivity setting of '5' causes 'innocent' e-mails from friends to be marked as spam, or if 'test,'or something equally innocuous, is in the subject line it too is marked as spam. As a workaround I reduced the sensitivity to '2.' (Using 3 or 4 is TBD). By reducing the sensitivity the 'innocent' mail is no longer marked as spam and one REAL spam message HAS been caught and marked as ***SPAM*** so far.

My problem with Thunderbird is that I set up a filter, selecting "Match all of the following," that says "From is WebMistress@GirlzRUs.com Perform these actions: Move Message to Webmistress on Local Folders." It does NOT work. Messages are NOT moved but appear in the normal Inbox. :( It does NOT work. :(

So, I noticed that TB now uses the word "Correspondents" where it used to use "From" so I set up a new filter that says: "Correspondents is WebMistress@GirlzRUs.com Perform these actions: Move Message to Webmistress on Local Folders" after 'Customizing the list of choices to add the new word long with 'From.' It does NOT work either. Messages are NOT moved but appear in the normal Inbox.:(

So, I'm getting nowhere. Any of you smart gentlemen 'out there' have a clue. ](*,)

Thank you,

Linda Latte
Stay here on Earth. It's the only planet with DARK CHOCOLATE !!
makaiguy

Re: Configuring Message Filters

Post by makaiguy »

Try [contains] instead of [is] for your address check and see if that makes any difference.

Correspondent vs From doesn't make any difference for your message filters, the From header is still present in the message and can be filtered on whether or not you are set to display it. The only difference is Correspondent also includes messages TO that address.

Aside: click on that odd sqarish icon at the right end of the headers in your message list pane for a menu where you can select which columns to display in your message list.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Also, note that filters only work automatically on new, incoming message. They don't work retroactively on messages already on your local system. To work on existing messages you have to select the filter from the filter list for that account, select the folder to run it on, and run it manually.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Noetic One

Post by Noetic One »

makaiguy wrote:Try [contains] instead of [is] for your address check and see if that makes any difference.

Correspondent vs From doesn't make any difference for your message filters, the From header is still present in the message and can be filtered on whether or not you are set to display it. The only difference is Correspondent also includes messages TO that address.

Aside: click on that odd sqarish icon at the right end of the headers in your message list pane for a menu where you can select which columns to display in your message list.
===================================
Tuesday April 3 2018, 8:09 AM

Poopers, kind Sir, but using 'contains' in place of 'is' made no difference. ](*,)

A weird thing: When I added 'From' along with 'Correspondents,' using the 'square box gitchy,' instead of showing the 'From' to be 'WebMistress@GirlzRUs.com', it showed up as 'User.' [-X Yoiks! Why could THAT happen?

Stay here on Earth. It's the only planet with DARK CHOCOLATE !! :roll:

Linda Latte
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

makaiguy wrote:Also, note that filters only work automatically on new, incoming message. They don't work retroactively on messages already on your local system. To work on existing messages you have to select the filter from the filter list for that account, select the folder to run it on, and run it manually.
Noetic One

Post by Noetic One »

DanRaisch wrote:
makaiguy wrote:Also, note that filters only work automatically on new, incoming message. They don't work retroactively on messages already on your local system. To work on existing messages you have to select the filter from the filter list for that account, select the folder to run it on, and run it manually.
Tuesday April 3 2018, 10:12 AM

Hi,

I realize that, but thank you for your kind suggestion. :D

I've been trying every thing I can think of to get the fresh incoming messages from my web site, after being 'de-spamatized,' moved to my WebMistress folder, but all for nought so far. ](*,)

Linda Latte (River Song on Second Life)

The Lone Ranger says to Tonto: "We're surrounded by wild Indians!' Tonto replies: 'What do you mean "WE," paleface?"
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried changing the "Match all of the following," to "Match any of the following"?
Have you confirmed that on that filter definition, the option under "Apply filter when" is checked for "Getting new Mail"?
Noetic One

Post by Noetic One »

DanRaisch wrote:Have you tried changing the "Match all of the following," to "Match any of the following"?
Have you confirmed that on that filter definition, the option under "Apply filter when" is checked for "Getting new Mail"?
Tuesday April 3 2018, 10:44 AM

Yes, Thank you! I tried both ways of 'matching' AND I made sure when 'Getting new mail' is checked along with 'Manually Run.' No luck! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Also, as a 'just in case,' I tried creating a NEW Inbox folder named "Web Site" along with the 'WebMistress' folder I wanted to use. Who knows? Maybe my desired folder name is on some TB internal 'black list' or wat? Computers are ornery beasts! Anyway, it does not WORK either. #-o

Question: The 'From' or 'Correspondents' column gives the nme or address of the sender. When I test from my web site I see a black arrow left of the rcv'd sender name pointing AT the sender name. Why is THAT, I wonder?

Frustration reigns supreme! :shock:

Linda Latte
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Also, as a 'just in case,'
Try renaming both of those folders to eliminate the space between words. That may not be the situation here but in the past some errors were traced to TB not being happy about the use of spaces in folder names.
Noetic One

Post by Noetic One »

DanRaisch wrote:
Also, as a 'just in case,'
Try renaming both of those folders to eliminate the space between words. That may not be the situation here but in the past some errors were traced to TB not being happy about the use of spaces in folder names.
Tuesday April 3 2018, 1:39 PM

Hi,

A really intuitive idea! One of the folders, the one I want to use for mail only has 1 word in the title, and that is 'WebMistress.' I did try my back-up folder named 'Web Site' and change it to 'WebSite' but it didn't fix the problem. :(

It is a puzzling and vexing problem, huh? The examples given for formulating message filters are SO simple, a literal 'piece of cake,' why ME? ](*,)

Thank you so much for trying!

Linda