Failed to connect to server... coming out of sleep mode

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sabretooth04

Failed to connect to server... coming out of sleep mode

Post by sabretooth04 »

Had this issue just start with the previous version so I updated to 52.7.0. Started about 2 weeks ago. This is a POP account.

Coming out of sleep mode would get Failed to connect to server mail.comcast.net.

Select Get Messages... same thing. Shutdown TB and start again, connects and works fine now. Stays connecting every 3 mins like configured.

Press the sleep button. Computer sleeps. Press button to wake up... have the issue.

Nothing has changed.

Thoughts?
DanRaisch

Re: Failed to connect to server... coming out of sleep mode

Post by DanRaisch »

Not seeing that here running version 52.7.0 under Windows 10.

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
sabretooth04

Post by sabretooth04 »

OK, just tried in Safe mode... same issue.
CBA

Post by CBA »

I have the same issue, albeit infrequently, with some of my POP accounts, like TWC (RoadRunner) and Compuserve (part of AOL). In addition to your trick/fix (which I use too), I have found that saving a message for later sending also works (Send Later ... Send Unsent Messages).

I see this as an ISP issue and not a TB issue as it goes away and stays away after a while. Admittedly, the cause of your problems may differ from what I experience. Fwiw.
sabretooth04

Post by sabretooth04 »

Update - Well you're not gonna believe this.

Today my Internet had issues. Down for about an hour. Came back up and now I could not connect at all to Comcast email. I fired up Outlook (old email) and it would not connect either. So I wait about 1/2 hour longer, still no email connection but Internet and Ooma phone service was fine. I say "What the heck", I go and reboot my modem (not router). After about 3 mins all come up and now TB chimes in with New Mail!

OK, so now I do my checks again by having the computer go into sleep and TB come up and runs just fine. Problem is gone!

So, live and learn on this strange one. A modem reboot solved this issue.