Multiple copies of Thunderbird opening

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Camelbreath

Multiple copies of Thunderbird opening

Post by Camelbreath »

Windows 10 up to date. TB 52.70 32 bit

All of a sudden, my installation of Thunderbird opens copies of the program like I was holding the trigger on a machine gun when on open the program. I can click the x to close what I believe to be the latest copy and that stops the process. If someone can point me in the right direction to fix this issue, I'll be grateful. In the meantime, as quick as I send this message I will run Malware Bytes and afterwards Mcafee.

Thanks in advance to those who know more than me,
Joe
Joe Dempsey
Ol' boy from LA (Lower Arkansas)
tanstaafl

Re: Multiple copies of Thunderbird opening

Post by tanstaafl »

I doubt its due to malware/a virus. I've had that happen in the past, though its been a long time.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=531588 mentions:

"Luis' suggestion (File/Close instead of File/Quit) on the second window made it closing and reopening immediately. Najia' suggestion (starting in Safe Mode) worked for me, even without selecting "Disable all add-ons" nor "Reset toolbars and controls"."
"Usual case which brings up the problem: clicking on a tab and dragging it a bit, generates a new whole window with again the inbox plus the tab dragged.
- The solution (workaround) I suggested was to, first, close that window using the menu, and then quit the last window also using the menu (I remember closing the window instead of menu seemed not to have the desired effect)."

If none of the helps try deleting session.json and sessionCheckpoints.json in the profile. help -> troubleshooting information -> open folder opens windows explorer at your profile. The two files are used to store the default windows layout. This includes data on what tabs are open. When you restart the files will be replaced with ones with default values.
wsmwk

Re: Multiple copies of Thunderbird opening

Post by wsmwk »

Some versions of "tray" addons can also cause this problem.