(Ubuntu) Reference numbers

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
robbyx

(Ubuntu) Reference numbers

Post by robbyx »

I use TB locally via pop3. They come into my computer from google mail where a copy of every email in and out is kept. Thus I keep a backup via google mail.

I am not finding important emails on my local machine even though I save emails to separate folders and can set up searches via the TB search or via the Recoll search engine. I think I may be able to reduce this problem in the future by using a numbering system.

Ideally the number should be in the header so that a reply automatically includes it.

On incoming and outgoing emails how do I add a reference into their headers?
Robin
DanRaisch

Re: (Ubuntu) Reference numbers

Post by DanRaisch »

You could try using the "Order Received" value which is already available for display as a column in the message list pane. Click on the small box at the far right of the header bar of that pane and select that column for display in both the Inbox and Sent folders.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Stop_threading_by_subject

Replies should add either a References or In-Reply-To header. Each message also has a globally unique Message-ID: header . Use control-U to see the raw message source (and view the headers).

If you think messages are getting lost you might want to take periodic snapshots of a folder using the ImportExportTools add-on. Besides being able to import or export a folder you can also export a folder listing (HTML or .csv format). You can also use it to automate backups (configure that in the add-ons options).

You could also use the header tools lite add-on to edit the subjects of existing messages to add consecutive ids though I wouldn't recommend that solution.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3038928 for another solution - adding a add a custom column for the Message-ID header with the ColumnsWizard extension. Also see http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14797997 .
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

Thank you for your advice. I can now understand how to access the header reference that is already there. I am unclear how to add a reference into message headers. Two reasons for this would be:

1. When a new email comes in which does not have the reference in its header.

2. When i send out the first email. How do I put in the reference in the header?
Robin
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1. True.
2. You don't. It's the parent/original message for a thread so there is no need for that header.

The reference headers are automatically added when you reply to a message. They are the way a email client figures out which messages are part of a thread/conversation. The original message (the parent) by definition doesn't have that header. However, the reference header specifies the message-id header of the original message being replied to so you can figure out the parent.
robbyx

Post by robbyx »

To clarify: You advise that there is no place in the message header for a custom reference code manually set by the sender.
Robin