Thunderbird Suddenly Not Getting AOL Mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ClaireOKC

Thunderbird Suddenly Not Getting AOL Mail

Post by ClaireOKC »

Tried several resources and actions to cure this problem.....restarted and rebooted (duh!); cleared cache and history, restarted; even went through and cleaned out all folders on the aol.com inbox; changed connection security to STARTTLS (port 143 w/authentication method as Normal password) SSL/TLS (port 993 w/authentication method: normal password); changed username to username only (no aol.com at the end). I really miss getting my emails all in one place and would like to have it work again. I've checked with AOL whos are hopelessly lost and have given up responding to me - I supposed they would like to have me online so that I will be forced to watch their ads constantly which is one of the reasons I like getting email through Thunderbird.

I've had no upgrade or change in the computer since this started and would prefer not having to re-install Thunderbird as I collect about 20 email addresses through Thunderbird (from different companies I own). Operating on Windows 10 and am using Thunderbird 52.7.0 (32-bit).

Any help here or suggestions would be really appreciated!
Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird Suddenly Not Getting AOL Mail

Post by DanRaisch »

* Are you saying that you have twenty email accounts set up in Thunderbird and they are all with AOL?
* How are the mail accounts set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Are you using an antivirus and/or a firewall program? Which one(s)?
* What is the exact text of the error message (if any) that you are seeing when trying to Get Mail from that account?
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird Suddenly Not Getting AOL Mail

Post by tanstaafl »

http://pop2imap.com/aol_thunderbird.php has a snapshot of some settings for a AOL IMAP account using port 993 and SSL/TLS. I suggest you double check your settings against it. Your username is supposed to be the full email address,

Are you able to send mail using your AOL account? It's useful to know how widespread the problem is when troubleshooting.

Can you read your AOL mail in webmail (using a browser)? I'm not suggesting it as a workaround, it's to rule out (and clear) you having a captcha , which Thunderbird doesn't know how to deal with.

Did you sign up with AOL originally or were you migrated from Verizon to AOL last year? i.e. is your email address based on username@aol.com or username@verizon.net ?