Sent Items, Sent Messages, Sent Mail

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
SamLowry

Sent Items, Sent Messages, Sent Mail

Post by SamLowry »

I recently updated my wife's email from pop to imap. In doing so I created a new account in T'bird. Her new account now has a Sent folder, as well as Sent Items, Sent Messages, & SentMail. Why all of these different folders? Can I delete/consolidate them?
BigSam
tanstaafl

Re: Sent Items, Sent Messages, Sent Mail

Post by tanstaafl »

You can consolidate to one sent folder (whatever it is called). I suggest you chose the one normally used by webmail. Change the sent folder using tools -> account settings -> account name -> copies & folders, move the messages from the other sent folders to that sent folder, and then delete the other sent folders. You need to do it in that order as you can't delete a folder that is specified in "copies & folders".

I don't know why it has 4 sent folders. Typically if webmail uses "sent items" and Thunderbird defaults to "sent" in "copies & folders" in a IMAP account it does not automatically create the "sent" folder, causing Thunderbird not to save a copy of the message when sending. Perhaps some of the other sent folders were caused by other email clients such as a smartphone.