Disappearing messages

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
john9210

Disappearing messages

Post by john9210 »

I'm using Gmail with TB. I save messages to folders but they disappear :cry: . I can't find a setting to control this. I don't expunge the inbox or empty the trash on exit.
DanRaisch

Re: Disappearing messages

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Are the folders visible in the left hand folder pane of the main Thunderbird window?
john9210

Post by john9210 »

IMAP. The folders are visible in the left hand folder pane.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are the disappearing messages being moved to IMAP folders or to sub-folders of the Local Folders pseudo-account?
john9210

Post by john9210 »

No. Nothing is being moved to the Local Folders account.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Right click on the name of one of the folder into which these messages have been moved. Select Properties from the context menu and then click on the "Repair Folder" button. See if the messages appear.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail is long but might help.

Try settings tools -> account settings -> gmail -> server settings -> when I delete a message to "just mark it as deleted" so that you can still see the deleted message (caused by moving it to another folder). The original, deleted message is still readable but will have a line drawn through it in the folder listing. You can undelete it by deleting it again.

What happens if you try to copy some messages to the inbox in Local Folders? The reason why I ask is I'd like to confirm your problem is limited to your IMAP account.
john9210

Post by john9210 »

I repaired every folder but none of the messages appeared in the folders. I decided to re-install TB. I hope that solves the problem. If not, I'll be back!