how to set up a gmail account in TB SOLVED

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
terrathunderbird

how to set up a gmail account in TB SOLVED

Post by terrathunderbird »

Hi folks...

Wondering what the settings are to set up a gmail account in TB, such as what port, IMAP v POP, etc. I'm going to divert all gmail forwarded emails from my Compuserve email box, because I believe Oath is positioning to scan our emails and attachments.
Last edited by terrathunderbird on April 30th, 2018, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: how to set up a gmail account in TB

Post by DanRaisch »

terrathunderbird

Thanks!

What's the difference between a POP3 or an IMAP account? I want to keep all messages on Gmail's server, but have a copy on TB, and be able to send emails from TB and have them show up (synch) in the GMails server.
terrathunderbird

Also, I went to set up the account in TB and at the end, a popup said to enable cookies. But I've already enabled the only cookie I want to enable from Google. So I tried to get around this in TB and couldn't. I didn't set up the GmailTB folder. I tried the manual config option and then it said "this server is already setup" or something like that. And it still doesn't show up.
terrathunderbird

Oops. Never mind about the cookie thing. I think I've figured it out. But still interested in your opinion about IMAP v POP3
terrathunderbird

I enabled them both. It appears to be working wonderfully! Thanks!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I want to keep all messages on Gmail's server, but have a copy on TB, and be able to send emails from TB and have them show up (synch) in the GMails server.
To achieve those goals you would want the account set up as IMAP. A POP account is basically local storage of received and sent messages. To be able to access sent messages from more than one computer you would have to be set up as IMAP.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Gmail
http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP

POP accounts are basically legacy accounts nowadays. You might find https://www.fastmail.com/help/technical/imapvspop.html useful.
terrathunderbird

Thanks!

The gmail folders set themselves up, and are downloading/migrating. All's well...

EXCEPT... they keep downloading. They've now set up a separate "All Mail" folder which has the same messages as in the inbox. And they seem to keep downloading. Like the numbers/messages match. But TB keeps downloading for some reason...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The "All Mail Folder" is a Gmail anomaly which does represent, as the name suggests, all of the messages in your Gmail account, not just the Inbox folder. You can eliminate the display of AllMail by un-subscribing from that "folder". https://www.pcworld.com/article/250202/ ... tions.html
terrathunderbird

Cool! I unsubscribed that folder. Oddly, the folder still exists. I'll try and restart.
terrathunderbird

Re: how to set up a gmail account in TB SOLVED

The restart worked. One of the gmail accounts has finished synching. The other one which is smaller and was started first is still going. I'll let it run over night.
DanRaisch

Re: how to set up a gmail account in TB SOLVED

Post by DanRaisch »

The other one which is smaller and was started first is still going. I'll let it run over night.
That's likely because of another unadvertised Gmail anomaly: Their servers will be throttled down (limit message transfers) when large volumes of data are involved, as with an initial download in a new account. They do that to balance the load on the servers.