Migrate from mbox to maildir

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jonandermb

Migrate from mbox to maildir

Post by jonandermb »

To save space and ease the workload of my network backup program, I'm thinking migrating from mbox to maildir.

I backup multiple machines using thunderbird via the local network, and they all use mbox. The problem is that even one single mail added to an existing mbox file (a folder in the UI), makes the file to change and the backup app would have to store the new mbox version, since it's a different file.

Now imagine a 1 Gb folder that you add a new 2 Mb mail to: The backup app would have to pull the full file once again, translating to more used space.

I was thinking about migrating to maildir format which, If i understood correctly, stores each mail as a separate file.

I have however two questions:

1: How safe/stable is this other storage method?

2: How can I migrate from one format to the other?
DanRaisch

Re: Migrate from mbox to maildir

Post by DanRaisch »

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Things have improved. The Thunderbird 60 beta at https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/channel/ has support for converting from mbox to maildir. I used maildir for about 6 months with a IMAP account and found it worked fine. Later on I used the beta and it converted a different account from mbox to maildir okay.

Your biggest risk is when moving a message from an account with one storage type to a account with another storage type. The safest scenario is a IMAP account using maildir that you don't move any messages from or to other accounts.
jonandermb

Post by jonandermb »

tanstaafl wrote:Things have improved. The Thunderbird 60 beta at https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/channel/ has support for converting from mbox to maildir. I used maildir for about 6 months with a IMAP account and found it worked fine. Later on I used the beta and it converted a different account from mbox to maildir okay.

Your biggest risk is when moving a message from an account with one storage type to a account with another storage type. The safest scenario is a IMAP account using maildir that you don't move any messages from or to other accounts.
Is it worth waiting for v60?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I can't say, that depends on your personal preferences. I assume the release of TB 60 is at least 2 weeks from now.
jonandermb

Post by jonandermb »

tanstaafl wrote:I can't say, that depends on your personal preferences. I assume the release of TB 60 is at least 2 weeks from now.
I can wait 2 weeks. Thanks!
jonandermb

Post by jonandermb »

I can't wait, and I'm testing on one machine. Installed beta 60, but can't figure out how to convert between formats... any clue?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

jonandermb wrote:I can't wait, and I'm testing on one machine. Installed beta 60, but can't figure out how to convert between formats... any clue?
Read the Release Notes?

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... leasenotes

Item #3
Thunderbird now allows the conversion of folders from mbox to maildir format and vice versa. This is an experimental feature that needs to be enabled by setting the preference mail.store_conversion_enabled.
Then go to the Account Settings, Server Settings, Message Store Type and select the maildir format.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
jonandermb

Post by jonandermb »

Thanks for pointing it out!!! Will try!