Import old Thunderbird emails into new Thunderbird profile

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
richard7239

Import old Thunderbird emails into new Thunderbird profile

Post by richard7239 »

Hi. I'm in the process of changing all my former email addresses (ntlworld.com addresses) to Gmail.com addresses.

I have created all my new Gmail addresses, which are all IMAP. But I still need access to my old addresses until I have reset my emails with all the places I'm registered with. For instance, my ntlworld.com Amazon email is still current, and it will be until I reset it to my new Gmail.com address for Amazon.

So, currently I have two Thunderbird indentities or profiles. The old (and still current) Thunderbird profile with the old emails (pop3), and the new Thunderbird profile with the brand new Gmail emails (IMAP)..

All my former emails are set to pop3. That means that all the emails are stored locally on my PC.

So, how can I import into my new Thunderbird profle (with the new Gmail address(es)), everything, (accounts, emails adresses etc) from my old Thunderbird profile? If I can, I will then of course see two accounts in my Thunderbird profile (Gmail.com and ntlworld.com) and should be able to poll both. Thanks. Rich
richard7239

Re: Import old Thunderbird emails into new Thunderbird profi

Post by richard7239 »

Further: So, I open up my new Thunderbird profile which has my gmail.com account. There are the usual gmail welcome emails. But, I want to import emails from my other Thunderbird profile which is a pop3 account.

So, I go to Tools> Import> Import Everthing. But I get "No application to import data from found".

EDIT: OK it looks like IMPORT is not suitable when importing emails from a Thunderbid profile.
Last edited by richard7239 on May 3rd, 2018, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard7239

Re: Import old Thunderbird emails into new Thunderbird profi

Post by richard7239 »

:shock: OK, I think I'm probably choosing the wrong process. I think I should be opening the original Thunderbird profile, and then in Account Settings selecting Account Actions then Add Mail Account. That will put the new IMAP gmail.com account into Thunderbird client alongside my ntlworld.com, pop3 account.

EDIT: Yep that works. I've now got my Thunderbird client sporting both ntlworld.com account and gmail.com account all in one profile.