Signature in replies

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
jhaber3

Signature in replies

Post by jhaber3 »

I went into Tools, Account Settings, to create signature, but still not there yet, on two grounds. First, it appends only to new messages, not to replies. Google told me there should be options there to append to replies and forwards, but I'm not seeing it. (I have the latest Thunderbird, running in Windows 10.)

Second, it's grayed out, so not ideal. I see an option to format it myself in html, but that doesn't seem ideal either. Not like I'm trying to bold it. Help?
DanRaisch

Re: Signature in replies

Post by DanRaisch »

Menu path Tools->Account Settings->Composition & Addressing->make sure that the option to "Include signature for replies" is selected (there is a check in the box).

Check the appearance of the signature in a message in the Sent folder. You may find that it is "grayed out" only in the composition window.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

Thanks! I'll give it a try.
jhaber3

Post by jhaber3 »

You're right about the location of the option to include with replies. How foolish of me to have missed it. I sent myself a test message, though, and the lighter font is there, too. (It's also preceded by two dashes, which I could live without.)

I also tried checking the html box and then including the signature in a paragraph tag (with the line break tag added as needed). I hoped that would mean normal font, but it made no difference. Bolding it in html didn't look at all good to me either.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

jhaber3 wrote:You're right about the location of the option to include with replies. How foolish of me to have missed it. I sent myself a test message, though, and the lighter font is there, too. (It's also preceded by two dashes, which I could live without.)

I also tried checking the html box and then including the signature in a paragraph tag (with the line break tag added as needed). I hoped that would mean normal font, but it made no difference. Bolding it in html didn't look at all good to me either.
It is in a lighter font indicating to the recipient that it is a signature. The dashes are the signature delimiter which should strip out the signature from a reply from the recipient to you. Unfortunately it doesn't work with messages composed in HTML.

So if you have a long correspondence with someone, you will see your signature in the reply multiple times and probably their signature if they have one :(

Here is the link to the original standard for USENET messages.

https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1036.txt
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5