Sorting addresses

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
TRAINSGWR

Sorting addresses

Post by TRAINSGWR »

I have a few address's with Christian name the same so how do I have them in the list with the ones I want first to show up when I start to type their name ?

I have Ray B and Ray Br and Ray R A and he has a couple of different e-addresses & they appear in the address book in that order so I am after in this order when I start to type but what shows up in the To field first is

Ray R A address 1
followed by
Ray B
Ray R A address 2
Ray Br

whereas I would like Ray Br to show up first

PS,I am using TB V38.5.1
Ron
DanRaisch

Re: Sorting addresses

Post by DanRaisch »

The auto-complete suggestions are not based on spelling alone but appear based on frequency of use. That means that if you send "Ray R A address 1" one message a week but send "Ray B" one message per day, "Ray B" (after time) appear above "Ray R A address 1" in the suggested addresses.

On way to work round that might be to populate the NickName field for each of those address book records and use names that will set apart the various "Rays". So the Ray you wish to see first could be 1Ray and so on. That would put the selection in your hands rather than depending on the auto-complete paradigm.
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

It does seem the nickname is the way though it maybe better if I delete them all and compile them in the order I want - they may help.
Ron
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

delete them all and compile them in the order I want
Not sure how you think you would do that. The display is based on frequency of use, There's no way to enter data to cause one to appear before another in the auto-complete suggestions.
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

Thanks, I was re-reading your words Dan & decided not to worry about recompiling.
Ron