Need immediate help! Acc't can't receive email?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Flycaster

Need immediate help! Acc't can't receive email?

Post by Flycaster »

In my previous email ("Deleting junk, but not all junk"....http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3040221,) I described continually getting email from the same source (WeeklyGetaways.net<newsletter@weeklygetaways.net>) even though I never subscribed and have unsubscribed. Well, now I think I have a much greater problem. I don't believe that I am getting any email other than the unwanted one to one of my accounts. As a test, I sent a test email to the problem account from one of my other Thunderbird accounts, my wife sent an email from her iPad to this account, and I was expecting an email from an outside person. Every time I selected get email for this particular account, all that I would get was another copy of the unwanted email in the account's junk mail; no other emails would show up in the problem account. How can I stop the unwanted emails and how can I get the problem account to accept valid emails???
Last edited by Flycaster on May 16th, 2018, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11, FF Latest, Edge v94, Thunderbird Latest, Defender
DanRaisch

Re: Need immediate help! Acc't can't receive email?

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you access the webmail page for that account to see if these other messages are present on the server?
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:Have you access the webmail page for that account to see if these other messages are present on the server?
Not sure, but will now check...
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

I have access and there are emails on the website that do not appear in my TB account. It seems that this problem started back on 5/9, which is always the date of the unwanted emails in the TB inbox pane...no matter that they were received after that date.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And were these unwanted emails also in the server inbox? If so, close Thunderbird, delete all the unwanted messages in the server inbox. Then restart Thunderbird and see if the other messages come through.
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

DanRaisch wrote:And were these unwanted emails also in the server inbox? If so, close Thunderbird, delete all the unwanted messages in the server inbox. Then restart Thunderbird and see if the other messages come through.
No, none of the unwanteds are in my Comcast website inbox....but every time I go to TB and select dl email into the problem account, one unwanted shows up in that account's junk box.

EDIT: I've been going down the list of emails on the website and finally, when I got to 5/9, there were two weeklygetaways.net emails. That appears to be the start of of the problem. I'm wondering if i unsubscribed that (5/9) and that started the looping and prevention of other emails reaching me in TB??? As there were unwanteds in the server box (2,) I will now delete them and restart TB...
Flycaster

Post by Flycaster »

I'm not a religious person, by any stretch of the imagination, but bless you Dan...you did it! After deleting the two unwanteds and re-booting TB, all remaining emails on the website appeared in TB's problem account's inbox. Now for the tough question, if possible, can you explain what was going on? Thanks, again, Dan.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Glad to hear that. As to what happened: Some times a message with a malformed header can "jam" in the download queue, preventing Thunderbird from downloading any messages that arrive to the server inbox after that "bad" one. Deleting that message (or, in your case, messages) from the server inbox clears up that jam and allows the remaining/good messages to reach TB. Thunderbird should handle such instances more gracefully but at this time it does not.