Is "Filter before Junk Classification" broken?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JJ Johnson

Is "Filter before Junk Classification" broken?

Post by JJ Johnson »

I'm struggling to keep messages from a mailing list that I'm on from being classified as junk. Not all messages, but I see no pattern. The FROM addresses vary, since it always uses the address of the person posting the message. But there are several other traits that are consistent.

Subject always contains the list name in brackets: [listname]
To is always the address of the list: listname@webtrek.com
Return-path is always the same: listname-bounce@webtrek.com

So I have a message filter rule set up with these three rules, set to "Match any of the following" and "Filter before Junk Classification" is checked. But a significant number of the messages still get classified as junk.

Is the "Filter before Junk Classification" option just plain broken?
JJ Johnson

Re: Is "Filter before Junk Classification" broken?

Post by JJ Johnson »

Ah... I think I just figured this out. :!:

The messages are being marked by SpamAssassin and the account was set up to trust SpamAssassin headers. Apparently that happens prior to whatever Thunderbird is calling "Junk Classification". I'll try creating a message filter to handle the SpamAssassin header instead and make sure it's last in the filter list.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

You cannot override SA with thunderbird filters. (in theory you can, but it is very hacky and not worth the effort)

But if your provider gives edit priveleges on your SA settings, you can whitelist your maliing list in the SA settings. And if you don't have edit privs, then you should implore your provider to fix SA
JJ Johnson

Post by JJ Johnson »

wsmwk wrote:You cannot override SA with thunderbird filters. (in theory you can, but it is very hacky and not worth the effort)
Hmm. Looks like you might be correct. What, then, is the account-level junk setting "Trust junk mail headers set by" supposed to do if you can't actually disable it? That makes no sense.
But if your provider gives edit priveleges on your SA settings, you can whitelist your maliing list in the SA settings. And if you don't have edit privs, then you should implore your provider to fix SA
I have the ability to whitelist only by FROM address, but as I said above, the mailing list is configured (for whatever reason) to use the individual sender's email address in the FROM header.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> What, then, is the account-level junk setting "Trust junk mail headers set by" supposed to do if you can't actually disable it?

Yes, account level "trust SA" on or off should work.