thunderbird expunge on exit doesnt work

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
richie1985

thunderbird expunge on exit doesnt work

Post by richie1985 »

hi,

i checked this checkbox:

like i understand the documentation it should comapct the file on my harddrive when i close the thunderbird, but this inbox file is growing and growing and growing, i must manualy comapct manualy:

why is it not working?
tanstaafl

Re: thunderbird expunge on exit doesnt work

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Deleting_mess ... P_accounts

What is "when I delete a message" set to in your accounts server settings?
What is mail.imap.expunge_option and mail.imap.expunge_threshold_number set to? You need to use the config editor in tools -> option -> advanced -> general to see that.

Are you using Gmail or a email provider that uses Gmail but with their domain (rather than gmail.com) as part of the email address? The settings for "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" in Gmail webmail allow you to override what a email client does and delay/override certain actions such as when a message is really deleted. Have you done anything in that tab other than enable IMAP?

Does this problem effect other accounts? It might help to know who your email provider is/are. You typically only want to keep your email address, username and password private, not the name of the email provider or what servers it uses.

What version of Thunderbird are you using? Please don't say latest as there are multiple latest versions.
richie1985

Post by richie1985 »

Hi,

i was checking all this stuff, here the answers:

What is "when I delete a message" set to in your accounts server settings?

Move it to the Trash folder

What is mail.imap.expunge_option and mail.imap.expunge_threshold_number set to? You need to use the config editor in tools -> option -> advanced -> general to see that.

i dont use gmail, the provider is called "hetzner", when i delete a mail in tb it will it is moved to trash folder and the same happens in the webmail... so that is fine... my only question is why the local tb mbox folder will not compacted.

its not working in all my mail accounts... different providers (1blu, hosteurope,office365)

my tb version: 52.8.0 (32-Bit)

thx :)

Erik
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't know why. I just duplicated the problem using TB 52.8.0 . I'll retest later on using a TB 60 beta build to see if it has the same problem.

I suspect the reason I haven't noticed before is I've set mail.imap.expunge_option to 2. That does a automatic expunge without waiting for TB to exit, when 20 deleted messages exist. That seems to still work. I have had it set to 1 before, and that used to work. Perhaps you've run into a regression bug. However, if you set it to 1 there shouldn't be anything left to compact when you exit, making the expunge on exit setting useless. I suggest you set it to 2 and see if things improve. If it works you can always lower the value in mail.imap.expunge_threshold_number
richie1985

Post by richie1985 »

mhhh also with this settings:

no change:

i dont know, but maybe this is also depending to the problem:

it never do automaticly compress any folder, i must do it anytime manualy...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

That last picture probably says don't automatically compact until 10MB of disk space is wasted. However, expunge and compact are two different and independent ways of getting rid of deleted messages. Assuming Papierkorb is your Trash folder it should have been automatically emptied and compacted when you exited Thunderbird based on the screen shot in your first post.

Occasionally a bug is added just in a version for one locale (such as Germany). I suggest you install a EN-US version of Thunderbird in a different directory (use custom setup, and leave your current version alone) and see if it has the same problem. It should automatically find and use your existing profile.
richie1985

Post by richie1985 »

Hi,

yes cleanup Trash Folder is the only function that works :)

in EN-US is the same:

BUUUUUUUUT i tried now the Beta Version (60.0b6 (32-bit)) and directly after starting tb it asked me:

so it seems realy a bug in current version... so i think we need to life with this situation until tb 60 is ready...

but big thanks for your support!
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> so it seems realy a bug in current version... so i think we need to life with this situation until tb 60 is ready...

The compact issue is indeed resolved in version 60. But the plan is also to deliver it in the next version 52.
richie1985

Post by richie1985 »

hey wsmwk, thats cool, where do you find this information? is there any "open bug"?

thx!
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

richie1985 wrote:hey wsmwk, thats cool, where do you find this information? is there any "open bug"?

thx!
By searching bugzilla https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cg ... hunderbird (at bottom of page you can click edit search to modify results to include open/not closed bug reports, change date, etc

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1157256 See also https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1429012#c1

If you still think expunge is not working correctly using Thunderbird 60 beta, then please file a bug report