Remove Apple (iPhone/iMac) Inserted Images?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tanstaafl

Re: Remove Apple (iPhone/iMac) Inserted Images?

Post by tanstaafl »

I don't see anything useful/unusual.

If you are using TB 3.1.20 I'm surprised the AttachmentExtractor add-on doesn't work since it supposedly "Works with Thunderbird 2.0 - 16.*" I suggest you try Version 1.3.5 (a slightly older version) of that add-on from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... /versions/
CBA

Post by CBA »

tanstaafl wrote:I don't see anything useful/unusual.
Okay, thanks! I suppose this has nothing to do with Character Encoding? I have my defaults set to UTF-8 for both incoming and outgoing emails.
If you are using TB 3.1.20 I'm surprised the AttachmentExtractor add-on doesn't work since it supposedly "Works with Thunderbird 2.0 - 16.*" I suggest you try Version 1.3.5 (a slightly older version) of that add-on from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... /versions/
I tried all the settings on version 1.3.5 and no delete of the image after saving. I think we have spent too much time on this, but before I drop the matter I'll try a portable version of a current Thunderbird. Perhaps the moral of this story is that stuff happens if you are stuck too long in "Luddite-Land". Oh well...

--------------

Postscript: I tried Thunderbird Portable 45.8.0 and (lo and behold) the embedded image delete function worked, along the lines of your posting. So, no need to give more details.

This was a trial and I have no plans now to abandon TB 3.1.20, which has a smaller footprint and (after tweaking) a more pleasing UI. A matter of personal taste/preference, of course, which I covered in a separate thread about 6 months ago!
Last edited by LIMPET235 on June 18th, 2018, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Some slight text editing.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

CBA wrote:I suppose this has nothing to do with Character Encoding? I have my defaults set to UTF-8 for both incoming and outgoing emails.
Agreed. Character encoding only effects text, not images.
CBA wrote:Postscript: I tried Thunderbird Portable 45.8.0 and (lo and behold) the embedded image delete function worked, along the lines of your posting. So, no need to give more details.
Glad that works, but thats puzzling as Portable Thunderbird is basically the normal Thunderbird with a different launcher and a few features disabled.
CBA

Post by CBA »

tanstaafl wrote:Glad that works, but thats puzzling as Portable Thunderbird is basically the normal Thunderbird with a different launcher and a few features disabled.
To clarify, what I refer to is that switching to view -> message body as -> plain text, right clicking on the attachment and selecting delete from the context menu worked fine (to paraphrase what you wrote) in TB 45.8.0. That shouldn't be puzzling, should it? At any rate, this has been an interesting exchange even though, at the end, it turned out to be much ado about "not so much" (as there is no easy fix for my legacy TB 3.1.20). Thanks!
CBA

Post by CBA »

Postscript-Postscript: I did try TB 3.1.20 Portable to see if that made a difference. It did not, and the issue at hand remained the same .. at least for me.

While at it, I tried a few other TB Portable versions (in addition to 45.8.0) ranging from 5.0 and upwards. The "delete embedded image" problem went away, but other stuffs not to my liking were introduced. So, for now, I'm staying with 3.1.20 (tweaked). Like life in general, this is a compromise!