Am currently Overseas
Have a local ISP Otenet.gr
That Account works fine no problems

Problems start when I try to add my BTinternet Account

Complete all the details for adding account BTinternet.com
On Completion I get two messages
(1) Thunderbird failed to find settings for your account
On the Lefthand side where the Accounts are
displayed only one account is visible Otenet.g - it seems that although I have completed Account set up nothing is being registered

(2) Configuration could not be verified as User Name or Password Incorrect?
I have logged into BT Web Mail many times with the same password and username

I had the same problem 5 weeks ago after a Windows 10 Update the same scenario happened

Would very much appreciate assistence/direction how I can get over this problem
Than You
Kalamaki
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird will not let me add a 2nd Account

Post by DanRaisch »

The new account wizard uses a table of settings appropriate for popular email providers but if it can not match the information you enter to one of the providers in that table it can't create a new account. You may manually enter the settings required to connect to the BTinternet servers. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ma ... figuration
Kalamaki

Post by Kalamaki »

Thank you for that detailed information.
I have been successful in setting up the additional account (Btinternet.com) however it would not allow me to set up POP3 only IMAP
The problem now is that the IMAP is not fetching any of the BTmail. Also trying to send outgoing mail the whole process hangs adinfinitum waiting for the sent mail to be saved to the sent folder. I believe that I have cured that as other forum members have also experienced the same hassle and I was able to effect a cure. So what test can I do now to get the IMAP settings to fetch my mail?
Kalamaki
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Exactly what is happening when you try to get mail for that account?
What error message (if any) is displayed?
Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
Kalamaki

Post by Kalamaki »

DanRaisch wrote:Exactly what is happening when you try to get mail for that account?
What error message (if any) is displayed?
Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
Apologies for delay in responding .
xxxxxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com
xxxxxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com Account Name

xxxxxxxxxxxxMy Name
xxxxxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com E-Mail Address
Reply to Address Blank
Organisation Blank
Signature txt Blank
Attach sign from file Blank
Attach v card to msg Blank
Outgoing Server SMTP BT MAIL-mail.btinternet.com
MANAGE iDENTITIES-click-xxxxx xxxxxx<xxxxx.xxxxxxxbtinternet.com
SERVER SETTINGS-
SERVER TYPE IMAP MAIL SERVER
SERVER NAME mail.btinternet.com
USER NAME xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SECURITY SETTINGS
Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication- Normal Password
SERVER SETTINGS check for new message at start up
check for new message every 10 Mins "unchecked"
Allow server notification when message arrives
When I delete message just mark it as deleted.
ADVANCED ACCOUNT SETTINGS - All left blank
OUTGOING SERVER SMTP click
Otenet E-Mail mailgate.otenet.gr (Default)
BT Mail- mail.btinternet.com
Details of Selected Server Otenet E- Mail
Server Name Mailgate.otenet.gr
Port Port 587
User Name xxxxx_xx@otenet.com
Authentication Normal Password
Connection Security STARTTLS

I have received three fault messages (1) Thunderbird failed to find settings for your account. (2) Operation timed out waiting for a response from server (3) Incoming Server contact interrupted .

So far only the local ISP Provider Otenet.gr works and can send and receive emails. The BT Internet ISP is non functioning.
Any information to assist with this malfunction would be most appreciated.
Thank you
Kalamaki
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You didn't mention what port setting you entered for the BTInternet account. See the following from BTInternet's support pages:

IMAP settings

Incoming Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com
Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated by selecting the SSL encryption)
SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)
Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part
Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

Please do NOT enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.
Kalamaki

Post by Kalamaki »

Kalamaki wrote:Thank you for that detailed information.
I have been successful in setting up the additional account (Btinternet.com) however it would not allow me to set up POP3 only IMAP
The problem now is that the IMAP is not fetching any of the BTmail. Also trying to send outgoing mail the whole process hangs adinfinitum waiting for the sent mail to be saved to the sent folder. I believe that I have cured that as other forum members have also experienced the same hassle and I was able to effect a cure. So what test can I do now to get the IMAP settings to fetch my mail?
Kalamaki
The Automatic detection for IMAP gave the incorrect o/g port, subsequently set this up using manual and changed port to 587.When tested again server confirmed that these ports were correct however up came a message that account could not be verified and querying whether the password and or the username were correct. 10 minutes previously I used the user name and password on the BT Webmail to login and collect my mail. This problem is really driving me up the wall, and reading through a Google Search many other users are experiencing the same problems
Kalamaki
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When you access web mail you are not going through the same servers as when you use an email cllient like Thunderbird to access an IMAP or POP type account.
According to the support page info posted above, the port number to use is 993 for the IMAP accounts. Did you try that port number value?
Kalamaki

Post by Kalamaki »

DanRaisch wrote:When you access web mail you are not going through the same servers as when you use an email cllient like Thunderbird to access an IMAP or POP type account.
According to the support page info posted above, the port number to use is 993 for the IMAP accounts. Did you try that port number value?
Thank you for that info.
Yes 993 i/c Port and 587 o/g Port were used.
I have checked on My Bt Server the Outgoing Test Mails were received so o/g server is working ok , it appears to be the i/c server that is not functioning incoming server refused connection.
I have just been with the Ote.gr Customer Tech Service Department for 1 hour . They checked all the settings I used which were all correct. Then as a double check requested by Otenet Tech I was requestd seperately via the Internet and logged into my BT Web Internet Account using the same Password and User Name that I used in Thunderbird, this worked and the Otenet Technician indicated that the problem appears to be with Thunderbird. So I am becoming more frustrated with this saga.
Kalamaki
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You seem to be intermixing Otenet and BTInternet in your posts. Are those two separate email providers for you?
Kalamaki

Post by Kalamaki »

Thank you for your response.
I have two Accounts (1) A local one Otenet.gr which I use here - That is working fine no problems. (2) The 2nd Account is for Btinternet.com and this is the one which only partly functions, like I can send test messages out to BTinternet but cannot receive any incoming messages despite treble checking all the set up paramaters. The Ports I use are 995 i/c and 587 o/g . On completion of test mail message always comes back - connection with incoming server interrupted . I have shut down the Anti Virus/The Firewall for the purposes of setting up the Account and it has made no difference at all.
Kalamaki
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, but please stop reporting anything relating to the Otenet.gr account as that is not involved with your problems with the BTinternet account and you're just confusing things by mixing in the settings for that working account.

BTInternet calls for using port 993 for that incoming server. Why are you using 994?
Kalamaki

Post by Kalamaki »

DanRaisch wrote:OK, but please stop reporting anything relating to the Otenet.gr account as thaeach caset is not involved with your problems with the BTinternet account and you're just confusing things by mixing in the settings for that working account.

BTInternet calls for using port 993 for that incoming server. Why are you using 994?
Thank you , request noted and actioned. Thank you for your assistance.
The 994 is a typo.
First I thought perhaps the fault condition could be occuring on just one Protocol . I have tried using both IMAP and POP3 Accounts and the Server Ports are different in each case. The fault condition is the same on both and gets back to fault code 0X800CCCD9 each time.
Is there any way I can get Thunderbird to log what is actually happening when I Interrogate the ISP? or perhaps there is a log some where on W10 which would give something similar
Kalamaki
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »