Message filter question

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tnffuser

Message filter question

Post by tnffuser »

I have filters set up to move junk messages from my 3 Imap accounts 'Junk' folder into the trash.
I have 'Apply filter' set to both manual and getting new mail.
Getting new mail is set to filter after junk classification.
I have 'Match all of the following' set (actually tried choices).
Filters are set to 'From' and some are set to 'Contains', depending on messages received.
Filters are set to 'Run on Inbox'.
Yet every morning my 'Unified' junk folder/subfolders (gMail, etc) are filled.
Manually running a filter does not move messages.

Obviously I am not doing this correctly.
Assistance is appreciated.
Thank you.
tnffuser

Re: Message filter question

Post by tnffuser »

Should have said filters set to 'Subject' and 'From' depending on messages received.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You are running the filter against the inbox but then say that your junk folder/subfolder is filled. If the filter is not running against the junk folder, why is that surprising? The filter is not looking at the junk folder but at the inbox folder. To have the filter move messages from the junk folder to trash, shouldn't the filter be set to "Run on Junk folder"?

tnffuser

Post by tnffuser »

Thanks, just assumed as messages come into TB, all went to inbox then was sorted as junk and sent it into junk folder.
So, you say that the sorting comes first, messages come into a, for lack of a better word, central location, then get sorted to folders.
What about the choices of 'filter before' and 'filter after' junk classification, what location is the sort taking place with the 'filter before' it gets to the junk folder.
Ok, my lack of understanding, so will change to sort on junk filter and see results.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So, you say that the sorting comes first, messages come into a, for lack of a better word, central location, then get sorted to folders.
No, not at all. You are accessing an IMAP type account so each folder is Thunderbird is displaying the messages found in the equivalent folder on the server side. If you see messages in the Junk folder before any filter runs in Thunderbird it's because the messages were moved there by the server.
tnffuser

Post by tnffuser »

Of course, should have remembered, thanks.
Sometimes my 80 year old mine is a little slow, at least that is what my grandchildren tell me when I call one of them by their mama's name.