Emoticons not displaying as graphics any longer

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Energise

Emoticons not displaying as graphics any longer

Post by Energise »

Using Thunderbird 52.9.1
Windows 10 v 1803 (17134.112)

I've just now discovered that when I do emoticons, ie ; ) (without the space between, but space or para before and after) they are not coming out as graphics any more.

I've only discovered this because I was just trying some other keyboard smilies, ie ;p ( ; p) so emailing to myself, and they didn't 'work'

I've checked in Options-Display and HTML is ticked next to Display emoticons as graphics in the Plain Text Messages section. I don't know of anywhere else I should check.

Whether they display as graphics by the recipient when I send these key strokes, I don't know. I've always understood that would be down to the settings in their device. However, when I've had a reply, I can see that the emoticons I sent are not displaying as graphics in my sent email.

Could this be something to do with Windows updates perhaps?

Can someone please advise as to what I can do to rectify this, please?

[Edit: 11.08 pm]
I've just checked in Windows Mail and emoticons not displaying as graphics either, so maybe not a Thunderbird thing?
tanstaafl

Re: Emoticons not displaying as graphics any longer

Post by tanstaafl »

Creating emoticons via the toolbar also seems broken with 52.9.1. I sent a HTML message where the first line of emoticons was created using the toolbar (the others were created manually) and received a plain text message that did not display any emoticons. I sent another HTML message (with no emoticons) to verify the conversion to plain text is a unrelated problem.

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Language: en-US

:-);-):-P:-\>:oO:-):-X

:)
: )

If you create a HTML message and send it to yourself do you get a plain text or HTML message?

I suggest you drop back to 52.8.0 until another update is released. You can keep your existing profile. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Go_back_to_an ... hunderbird
Energise

Post by Energise »

Good morning tanstaafi

Many thanks for your response.

I've just downloaded and installed v52.8, having uninstalled 52.9. So, sent myself an email but, unfortunately, this version isn't displaying as graphics either.

I've just checked in Outlook, on PC, to see if the emoticons have shown in graphics and I can't see any emails with emoticons in. I'm sure I would have noticed the lack of them displaying before now, had this been going on for sometime, but I can't be sure, of course.

- On PC, I've checked in Thunderbird, Outlook and Mail - no emoticons displayed as graphics :(
- On Linx 1010 (Win 10) in Windows Mail, emoticons display as graphics :)
- On Laptop (Win 10) in Windows Mail, emoticons display as graphics ;)

All these devices are running the same build of Windows 10 v1803. So, that suggests, to me, something has changed in my PC, rather than Thunderbird or Windows in general

If anyone can suggest where I might check in my PC for appropriate settings, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I feel it may be more appropriate if I were to post in a Windows forum, do you think?

Many thanks for all your help with this
morat

Post by morat »

tanstaafl wrote:Creating emoticons via the toolbar
It succeeds with the Gmail IMAP Drafts folder in the sender account
It fails with the Gmail IMAP Sent Mail folder in the sender account. I get a plain text message.
It fails with the Gmail IMAP Inbox folder in the receiver account. I get a plain text message.

Thunderbird 52.9.1
Windows 7 SP1 32-bit

P.S.

I sent a message with color text without emoticons. It works correctly.