Can the "Mail" key be used to summon TB on Windows ?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Ninho

Can the "Mail" key be used to summon TB on Windows ?

Post by Ninho »

Hi ! Just installed TB 52.9.1 (32 bits) on this new Win10 PC. BTW, was there no 64-bit build ?

Whichever way... I am using a MS keyboard having a dozen "multimedia" keys, incl. a "mail" key (with the sketch of an envelope on its cap) which is supposed to call or activate the default mail app on Windows. Here however, pressing the "mail" key opens Microsoft's stoopid "mail" applet that isn't even capable to access my main POP/SMTP account (yet I tried, hard !).

I have asked Thunderbird to please be the default mail application, but it's had no effect on the "mail" key binding :( Any way exist to fix this ? TYIA !
Last edited by DanRaisch on July 11th, 2018, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed font tags to improve readability.
Ninho
DanRaisch

Re: Can the "Mail" key be used to summon TB on Windows ?

Post by DanRaisch »

That's really a Windows 10 issues. If you've tried to set Thunderbird as the default from within TB itself, Win 10 is ignoring that setting. See this article -- https://pchelp.ricmedia.com/change-defa ... indows-10/
Ninho

Post by Ninho »

Thank You, @Dan! That worked. Really got to hate MS Windows 10 !

What about my other, incident, question ?
Ninho
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"BTW, was there no 64-bit build ?"

Not for released/production builds for Windows. Its available for beta/daily builds. My impression is that they will eventually support it, but its a low priority since it frequently doesn't noticeably improve performance and Thunderbird doesn't need to use more than 4GB .

http://kb.mozillazine.org/64_bit_builds
Ninho

Post by Ninho »

Re: "no 64-bit builds" OK, it's not like I wanted one desperately :=( Was just wary whether had missed smthg while downloading it. Again, thank you !
Ninho