TB add-on to select startup folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
CBA

TB add-on to select startup folder

Post by CBA »

I ended up installing two add-ons capable of selecting the inbox folder on startup: 1. Select Inbox: simple and to the point with few options. 2. Manually Sort Folders: in addition to sorting any folder my way, there is an "Extra Settings - Startup folder - Use Custom Folder". And, if I set Use Custom Folder to "Inbox" it seems to be doing the same thing (as Select Inbox).

Do I really need "Select Inbox" if I have "Manually Sort Folders" and use the Extra Settings per the above? Thoughts/suggestions?
DanRaisch

Re: TB add-on to select startup folder

Post by DanRaisch »

Do I really need "Select Inbox" if I have "Manually Sort Folders" and use the Extra Settings per the above?
I think you answered your own question. If "Manually Sort Folders" provides the functionality you want, removing the "Select Inbox" extension seems an obvious move.
CBA

Post by CBA »

DanRaisch wrote: I think you answered your own question. If "Manually Sort Folders" provides the functionality you want, removing the "Select Inbox" extension seems an obvious move.
My query was poorly phrased, so, maybe it looks obvious on the surface. But, maybe it's not.

The add-on "Select Inbox" has an option not available with "Manually Sort Folders", namely the Inbox Message shown on start: First, Last, Last Selected, First Unread and First Flagged. As for "Manually Sort Folders", if the Inbox is not selected under Extra Settings, the default is "Use Last Opened folder".

For the sake of argument, let's say I pick the default "Last Opened" for "Manually Sort Folders" and have "Select Inbox" set to "Last Selected Message" .. then what's happening? Do the two add-ons clash or does one have preference over the other? And are there any known incompatibilities between the two .. generally speaking?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

There are too many extensions to be able to answer that question unless someone is using exactly the same mix of extension as you are. Extensions that effect the same functionality always have the potential for conflict. Best answer, try using them and see if you have any problems that might relate to the use of those two addons.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

mailnews.remember_selected_message defaults to true. It "Selects the last message selected in the folder again the next time you open that folder.". It sounds like you are over-riding that behavior using one or more of the add-ons. Something to keep in mind as you experiment.
CBA

Post by CBA »

tanstaafl wrote:mailnews.remember_selected_message defaults to true. It "Selects the last message selected in the folder again the next time you open that folder.". It sounds like you are over-riding that behavior using one or more of the add-ons. Something to keep in mind as you experiment.
Thanks! Seems like a good thing to keep in mind as that setting is (no doubt) part of the mix.
CBA

Post by CBA »

This is a totally non-scientific test (with mailnews.remember_selected_message set to true):

1. "Manually Sort Folders" and "Select Inbox" disabled: TB opens the last folder visited, but message window is blank;

2. "Manually Sort Folders" enabled and "Select Inbox" disabled: TB opens the inbox folder, regardless of last folder visited, but message window is blank;

3. "Manually Sort Folders" and "Select Inbox" enabled: if last folder visited is not the inbox, TB opens the inbox folder, but message window is blank. If last folder visited is the inbox, TB opens the inbox and the last message visited. Eureka .. sort of!

The above may well be partly related to TB version 3.1.20. But, whatever, I guess I have to live with it! Thanks to all.