Search Not Providing Results

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Splat-NJ

Search Not Providing Results

Post by Splat-NJ »

Using latest version of TB and search seems to either not be working or working correctly. Searching for known existing words in my emails, like Vulcan, and I get no results back. I've already deleted and rebuilt the indexes, as well as totally uninstalling and reinstalling TB, and no joy. I resorted to an old backed up profile and it's not the profile. Need this fixed ASAP. Anyone? Thanks.
Splat
DanRaisch

Re: Search Not Providing Results

Post by DanRaisch »

There are multiple search methods in TB. Which are you finding to be problematic?

Which index files did you delete?

POP or IMAP account?
Splat-NJ

Post by Splat-NJ »

Search via global search text box or under Edit/Find... and no results come back. I deleted the "global-messages-db.sqlite" file. I have Global search and indexer enabled in options. They are all locally stored Pop accounts.
Splat
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To improve searches based on Edit->Find->Search Messages, you can try repairing the folder indexes by right clicking on the folder name in the left hand pane of the main window, selecting "Properties" from the context menu and then clicking on the "Repair Folder" button.

After deleting the file global-messages-db.sqlite from the profile, have you confirmed that the file has been recreated? Have you tried toggling the Global Search and Indexer to "Off", closing and restarting Thunderbird and then toggling that option back to "On" again.
Splat-NJ

Post by Splat-NJ »

I'll give that a shot now and let you know. Thank you. PS, yes I did confirm the index was rebuilt. Thanks.
Splat
Splat-NJ

Post by Splat-NJ »

OK, I repaired each folder individually, rebooting TB after each folder just for the helluvit, and I also toggled the Global search feature off/on, rebooting between and still search not working. Thanks.
Splat
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
Splat-NJ

Post by Splat-NJ »

Didn't think of that, geez. Lemme try..
Splat
Splat-NJ

Post by Splat-NJ »

OK, just rebooted into safe mode with extensions disabled. Still no joy with same result....no search results. Thanks.
Splat
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are those messages found if you use the Quick Filter bar to search for them?
Splat-NJ

Post by Splat-NJ »

I don't use the QF search box so had to find it first. It does find existing search terms so searching via that way works. Interesting...
Splat
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Normally, uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself is not a recommended procedure to resolve problems, most of which arise in the profile. In this case, however, it might be worth trying.

Clear the browser cache and the Windows Temp directory.
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/all
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird (or C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird)
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

Note that your saved messages, address books, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.

This thread http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p5239885 has a more detailed version of the above instructions if needed.
Splat-NJ

Post by Splat-NJ »

Yep, know about that and tried all that, but I thank you.
Splat