Can't receive or send from one email address

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
sjw54

Can't receive or send from one email address

Post by sjw54 »

My primary email address will not receive or send emails. I get the popup that I need to enter new password, and when I do it does not work. I entered the one I have always used here, but that did not either. I have two verizon email addresses and two gmail all through T-bird. Only the primary one, xxxxxxxxxxx@verizon.net is not working. I am having to go through AOL for the emails. Please keep in mind I have no computer knowledge, so the instructions need to be simple.

PS. I am very thankful for all of you and your help. I just made a small donation the other day, but on a fixed income, it was not much. However I cannot imagine life without T-bird, I hate all the others.

Hoping we can fix this problem. Thank you.
Last edited by DanRaisch on July 18th, 2018, 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Email address obscured per forum rules. http://forums.mozillazine.org/faq.php?mode=rules#f4r4
DanRaisch

Re: Can't receive or send from one email address

Post by DanRaisch »

What is the full text of the error message you are seeing when trying to get messages?
Have you compared the settings for the non-working Verizon account with those of the working account to ensure that they match except for the user name? * Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

It now seems I can send emails from that address but still not receiving them. Still using Aol to receive (Aol took over Verizon email server)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

DanRaisch wrote:What is the full text of the error message you are seeing when trying to get messages?
Have you compared the settings for the non-working Verizon account with those of the working account to ensure that they match except for the user name? * Without posting your full email address, what settings do you have under menu path Tools->Account Settings Server Settings:
Server name:
Port # :
User name : (Is it your full name or just the bit before the @ symbol)
Connection Security:
Authentication Method:
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan: Server type: Pop mail
server name pop.verizon.net
Port 995
User name: moremuscle (it does not show the actual email address with the @verizon.net Just 'moremuscle'
Connection Security: SSL/TLS
Authentication Method: Normal Password
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

And do those settings, other than the user name, match those of the working Verizon account?
Have you tried changing the user name entry to the full email address, including the bit after the @ symbol?
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Yes they do match and the user name on both does not include the @verizon.net
One is moremuscle and the other is carepackages

I have to go out in ten minutes and will be out for a few hours....I will see your reply when I get back, around 3pm ET
Thank you, Dan....for working with me.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.

Just as an experiment, add the @verizon.net to the non-working account's user name field. If it fails again, post the full text of the error message here.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

What is the full text of the error message. You mean give you everything the popup says? I am not getting the popup now when I send from that account, but still no incoming. I am now out for a few hours. Will check back later and let you know......thanks!
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Dan....I have a ridiculous question. I have a friend coming over Saturday, at 4pm ET. He is a computer dude. I wish there were some way someone at your end could be around for him to communicate with ....since he understands everything and I do not. Impossible?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Impossible?
It would be impossible to guarantee that someone will be present at a given time on a specific day. This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user-helping-user community so everyone here is a volunteer, putting in time as they can.

Your friend could review this thread and post any questions that they may have if things still aren't working after walking you through the steps we've discussed so far.
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Hi Dan. I just turned on the laptop and I wrote down the popups. The first one says: Enter your password for moremuscle on pop.verizon.net. A little box below that to click says: Use password manager to remember this password. then options: OK or Cancel. I put in the password I use for this forum (I can't think of any other password I have).
A few minutes later a second popup that says: Sending of password for user moremuscle did not succeed. Mail server pop.verizon.net responded: [SYS/TEMP] server error - please try again later. Then a box to click OK.

I thought of your idea, having him go over everything that you suggest by reading these threads. If you have any further suggestions based on what I just gave you, that would be super. Hopefully he will understand. This has happened before, last year, and previous times too. But someone always figured it out, a friend. Now I am stuck! Thank you again for any thoughts you have. I would love to get this figured out and fixed. And, if possible, write down what the solution was!!!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I put in the password I use for this forum (I can't think of any other password I have).
Then that may be the issue. You must have a password for that specific account. When you created that account on the AOL/Verizon servers, would you have used the same password for that email that you use for these forums? If not, and as you don't seem to know that account's particular password, you have to change the password for the account on the server side and then use the new password in Thunderbird. Most email providers and other sites will have a "Don't remember my password" option when signing in that will let you change to a new password. Use that functionality when accessing the email account through a browser.

For better security on-line, for each site you access that requires a password you should use a different password. This is particularly true of high risk sites like bank accounts, credit card accounts, and health related accounts. If you use the same password on every site, someone could learn that password for a low priority site and have access to all of your accounts. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/06/tech ... owser.html
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

You gave me an idea......I will shut down and reboot.....when the popup is there I will put in what I think is the newer password that I changed. If that does not work, I need to start over with a new password. But which password am I changing? I'll give that a try.......I think when Verizon went to AOL I added a character to the password. Hopefully that will work. If not, I'll let you know.

I do use a difficult password that I set up on a site like the one you sent me. I test the password to make sure it is complicated. Thanks for that.....
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

Sigh.......

I shut down, turned back on, and cannot get the popup to appear to enter the password. So, now I have to figure out how to get the popup back....LOL....thanks for hanging in here with me.......very frustrating......and you have the patience of a saint.