Wrapping at 50 chars in mail composer

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
aik_au

Wrapping at 50 chars in mail composer

Post by aik_au »

Suddenly TB 60b10 started wrapping long lines at 50 characters in the composer and totally ignore the wrapping setting. Happened to an old profile, I created a new one, it worked as expected for a day and now the problem is back, what is it?

I am trying plain text replies to plain text mails. No html.

update: It seems to be the composer problem as the resulting mail has long lines wrapped at 72 chars or close.
sfhowes

Re: Wrapping at 50 chars in mail composer

Post by sfhowes »

See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1367891

mailnews.wraplength = 72 wraps to a width of 72 characters
mailnews.wraplength = 0 wraps to the window
mailnews.wraplength = -1 doesn't wrap at all

What is your value for the preference? Mine is set to 0, and plain text wraps to the window in new messages and replies (TB 60b10).
aik_au

Post by aik_au »

It is 72 and it does wrap like this in the mails sent after I finished editing, just not when I am typing them - when I am still typing, it is 50-ish.
If I set it to "0", it does wrap to the window but it does not wrap at all in the mail. "-1" does not wrap anywhere.

So wrapping in actual mail and wrapping in the composer are 2 different things, the latter is not configurable.
aik_au

Post by aik_au »

forgot how I fixed it but after while I upgraded TB from 60 to 68.1.0 and the problem is back again. mailnews.wraplength = 72 but it wraps exactly at 50.
It wraps at approximately 80 chars when I set mailnews.wraplength to 120. Bizarre. Oh well, this is something.