wrong default email

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
walkerpbus

wrong default email

Post by walkerpbus »

web sites pointer to "email' always goes to the top email which is mine, but not the primary one, We (wife & I) have a unified set with the 1st being mine but not the primary me. I admit I don't know how to switch it. Is there an add-on or a technique I could use? By the way the 1st email is the oldest.
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
DanRaisch

Re: wrong default email

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, you've really got me confused with this one. What does a web site have to do with Thunderbird? What do you mean by "unified set"?
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

unified = 1 Thunderbird, 3 emails first is mine (small traffic) 2nd is my wife's larger traffic 3rd is my major one, Website gives option to "email" which brings up a write using the 1st 'sender" & I forgot how do switch to the 1st.
Win 10 Pro desktop, but now 64-bit latest Windows 10. Usually latest or latest-1 Thunderbird on this machines.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

So you have one Thunderbird profile with three email accounts in it, and you are clicking on a link on a web page that leads to a "mail to" call to Thunderbird. That's much clearer now.

In TB, try menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->at top right of the window that pops up, click on the name of the account that you want to be the default for sending then click on the "Set Default" button->then click on "OK" and close out those settings dialogues.
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

It was already set to that: Unfortunately I've misplaced the trigger browser page that caused all this; Do you want a complete TBird add-ons page?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, it's unlikely it has anything to do with extensions.
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

It's adding a new problem: all I send with my primary account (#3) goes in the secondary(#1) (& it actually gets sent & refused or received as #1) primary sent accounts?? They all use imap.gmail.com
In other words I sent from #3, my preferential account to #2, my wife: it was received with the Name part as #3 but the email part as #1. When I sent to my wife as #1, both name & email were correct AND some emails
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

DanRaisch wrote:So you have one Thunderbird profile with three email accounts in it, and you are clicking on a link on a web page that leads to a "mail to" call to Thunderbird. That's much clearer now.

In TB, try menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP)->at top right of the window that pops up, click on the name of the account that you want to be the default for sending then click on the "Set Default" button->then click on "OK" and close out those settings dialogues.
well the outgoing server was not at the top right but at the bottom but I won't unsubscribe until I get a real test case. The other problems I changed or got rid of so ignore them :D
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

Still something wrong: Name part is #3 but the actual email address is #1 which gets the replies of course
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Please try to be a bit clearer. What do you mean by "Name part"?
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

Paul B Walker <xxxxxxxx@sil.org> is what I got. Paul B Walker is the correct name part while the address is from non-priority wrong email: it should have been xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com : it was sent from that one & I don't know how to fix it, When I send from the non-priority email: Paul Walker <xxxxxxxxxxxx@sil.org> everything comes out fine. 1 more issue to make it more confusing: the sil.org address is maintained by Google
Last edited by walkerpbus on August 5th, 2018, 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I removed your email address from your post. Spammers may harvest email addresses from public forums like this.

The "name part" is purely descriptive and not functional. It has no effect on which account sends or receives messages. You want to make sure that the server name and user name fields associated with that outgoing (SMTP) server point to the intended account.

That is, if you have account1 with an address of account1@myISP.whatever, and account2 with an address of account2@Gmail.whatever, and account3 with an address of account3@myISP.whatever, each SMTP server definition must be edited to reflect the server names and user ID (often the full email address) for each of those accounts.
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

DanRaisch wrote:I removed your email address from your post. Spammers may harvest email addresses from public forums like this.

The "name part" is purely descriptive and not functional. It has no effect on which account sends or receives messages. You want to make sure that the server name and user name fields associated with that outgoing (SMTP) server point to the intended account.

That is, if you have account1 with an address of account1@myISP.whatever, and account2 with an address of account2@Gmail.whatever, and account3 with an address of account3@myISP.whatever, each SMTP server definition must be edited to reflect the server names and user ID (often the full email address) for each of those accounts.
as you can see I edited my last statement again & throw it into more confusion as to how to restore things to accuracy. How can I straighten this out, sir?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

It sounds as though you need to change the user name and server name for the Gmail account.

In TB, try menu path Tools->Account Settings->Outgoing Server (SMTP) which is found at the bottom of the left hand account list pane.. Then, at top right of the dialogue that pops up, click on the name of the Gmail account and then on the "Edit" button. Set the User name and server name for the account to be similar to what you have for the incoming server. That is, use the same user name (Johnsmith@gmail.com or John.smith@gmail.com, or whatever) as the incoming server for the same account. If the portion of the address after the @ symbol is gmail.com, the outgoing server would be smtp.gmail.com. Then click on "OK" and close out those settings dialogues.
walkerpbus

Post by walkerpbus »

Sir, Thank you for your instructions:I printed your last instructions so I wouldn't make an error but Now I have not solved the problem. I cannot find the correct output server. In the locations for smtp gmail servers there are the default (#1 email sil.org undesired), plus 2 smtp.gmail.com: both point to my wife's email address obviously undesired. My speculation is that Somehow mine has gotten changed? Since I apparently have 2 which pertain to my wife's is there a way of resetting 1 of them to my address? Addenda: It's solved! :D