Thunderbird in tray bar. [Linux.]

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
keiichi

Thunderbird in tray bar. [Linux.]

Post by keiichi »

Hi, I use thunderbird 60 in windows 7 and debian.
Is there an extension who allow of minimize thunderbird in tray bar?
Thansk
Last edited by LIMPET235 on August 25th, 2018, 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Linux] to the title.
LIMPET235

Re: Thunderbird in tray bar

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
There are 1 or 2 in the Addons site that may suit your needs...

> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... &platform=
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
keiichi

Re: Thunderbird in tray bar. [Linux.]

Post by keiichi »

Yes, but there is written that those 1 or 2 solutions are for thunderbird 50 and not 60.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Sorry. I missed that you're running v60, which has not been released yet.
(I don't keep up with what Thunderbird version/s are up to.)
ref; > https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thund ... easenotes/

Maybe someone will know if "those extensions" will work in your version.
Possibly....try them?
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Try setting extensions.strictCompatibility true using the config editor. Its not clear from https://github.com/foudfou/FireTray/issues whether any users tried that with Firetray.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/24/thund ... s-support/
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... &id=208923
keiichi

Post by keiichi »

I downloaded FireTray and I setted extensions.strictCompatibility on false . But how do I install the addon?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi,
Simply drag 'n' drop the extension into Thunderbird's Addons screen.
Close & re-open TB to complete.

keiichi

Post by keiichi »

Thanks. I installed FireTray but it doesn't seem work
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I'm using Thunderbird v60.0 Portable (PortableApps) on Windows. I tried installing FireTray to it with the extensions.strictCompatibility true and extensions.strictCompatibility false settings. In both cases TB would not allow the install of FireTray.

I did find a way to minimise TB v60.0 to the System Tray using the Windows program RBTray but that solution won't work on a Linux system unless you can find a Linux program that offers the same functionality as RBTray. For more details on RBTray see this thread: [Solved] Get Thunderbird 60.0+ to Minimise to System Tray.
Last edited by BuddhaNature on August 31st, 2018, 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I had no problem installing Firetray as an add-on with Thunderbird 60 under Windows 10 after setting extensions.strictCompatibility true and restarting. However, when I minimize Thunderbird it doesn't seem to use the system tray, its still using the window in the taskbar. I tried showing hidden icons.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Yes, tanstaafl -- all I can do is report what happened with my Thunderbird Portable and FireTray.

In any case, I think there must have been changes in the code regarding the 'minimise' button - certainly, when using RBTray, the minimise button in the default install of Thunderbird 60.0 (without showing the 'Titlebar') doesn't act in the same way if you force Thunderbird to show the 'Titlebar' and use the minimise button from there. I've posted a solution to this minimise problem now here: [Solved] Get Thunderbird 60.0+ to Minimise to System Tray

As people move over to 60.0 I was thinking there'll be complaints related to FireTray and lack of capacity to minimise Thunderbird to System Tray.
Last edited by BuddhaNature on August 25th, 2018, 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
keiichi

Post by keiichi »

tanstaafl wrote:I had no problem installing Firetray as an add-on with Thunderbird 60 under Windows 10 after setting extensions.strictCompatibility true and restarting. However, when I minimize Thunderbird it doesn't seem to use the system tray, its still using the window in the taskbar. I tried showing hidden icons.
Yes, me too
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

I've just been thinking that if you can successfully install FireTray to your Thunderbird 60.0 maybe you could try forcing Thunderbird to show the 'Titlebar' and see if FireTray works from there. I can't test this myself as I can't get FireTray to install to my Thunderbird. Might be worth a shot.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Oops! I just tried to install FireTray to Thunderbird 60.0 with extensions.strictCompatibility set to false and it installed this time (so I have no idea what I did first time I tried this). So apologies for my error. :oops:

That said I can't configure it to test my own suggested experiment. If I open the options for FireTray the options display all the way from the left side of my monitor to the right-side and then just disappear off the screen with options seeming chopped-off because they are beyond the limits of the monitor screen. Impossible to make any settings and get them to stick. The only way out of the mess is to kill Thunderbird via Windows Task Manager,
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I set mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar to false which restored the title bar and replaced the widget to close Thunderbird with the normal X widget. That adds a (hidden) Thunderbird icon to the system tray that mentions that a account has a new message when I hover the mouse over it. If I double click on the icon Thunderbird is displayed, maximized.

Is that what FireTray is supposed to do?