Thunderbird in tray bar. [Linux.]

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
BuddhaNature

Re: Thunderbird in tray bar. [Linux.]

Post by BuddhaNature »

I think it depends. FireTray has a lot of settings that users can configure as to how it behaves. Go (menu) Tools > Add-on Options > FireTray and you'll see how it can be configured.

To be honest I only came across FireTray a few weeks ago and was using it successfully in Thunderbird 52.9.1 and I really liked it. Then I upgraded to Thunderbird 60.0 and I couldn't get FireTray installed first time round. So I was only using it for a few weeks in the old Thunderbird then I switched to Thunderbird 60.0 and managed to work out how to get RBTray to minimise the new Thunderbird to the System Tray. (RBTray couldn't minimise pre-60.0 versions of Thunderbird but I knew that Firefox Quantum had changed the way the minimise button on Firefox was coded, so I guessed that change might have been passed-on to Thunderbird 60.0. My guess was right, and after a little bit of experimentation I understood how to minimise Thunderbird 60.0 using RBTray.) So, in all, I'm not the best person to comment on how FireTray can behave with its multiplicity of settings. As best as I can remember it can hide things and show things according the user's own preferences.
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

keiichi,

For your Linux system you might find KDocker will allow minimise of Thunderbird to the System Tray.

Also in the listing here: https://alternativeto.net/software/kdocker there is a program called "AllTray" that might manage it.

EDIT: For KDocker I found these install instructions with a link that gives some command line arguments that can be used with KDocker: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/22908-HOWTO-Start-Thunderbird-(and-others)-minimized-to-tray

EDIT: For AllTray I just came across these instructions on how to use it: AllTray – Minimize any program into the system tray The instructions are old but do give some insight into how AllTray works.
keiichi

Post by keiichi »

BuddhaNature wrote:Yes, tanstaafl -- all I can do is report what happened with my Thunderbird Portable and FireTray.

In any case, I think there must have been changes in the code regarding the 'minimise' button - certainly, when using RBTray, the minimise button in the default install of Thunderbird 60.0 (without showing the 'Titlebar') doesn't act in the same way if you force Thunderbird to show the 'Titlebar' and use the minimise button from there. I've posted a solution to this minimise problem now here: [Solved] Get Thunderbird 60.0+ to Minimise to System Tray

As people move over to 60.0 I was thinking there'll be complaints related to FireTray and lack of capacity to minimise Thunderbird to System Tray.
I added two programs for linux at your post
BuddhaNature wrote:keiichi,

For your Linux system you might find KDocker will allow minimise of Thunderbird to the System Tray.

Also in the listing here: https://alternativeto.net/software/kdocker there is a program called "AllTray" that might manage it.

EDIT: For KDocker I found these install instructions with a link that gives some command line arguments that can be used with KDocker: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/22908-HOWTO-Start-Thunderbird-(and-others)-minimized-to-tray

EDIT: For AllTray I just came across these instructions on how to use it: AllTray – Minimize any program into the system tray The instructions are old but do give some insight into how AllTray works.
I did not notice of your new posts where you wrote of kdocker and AllTray.
Anyway I allowed myself of add these programs at your post of minimization of thunderbird
BuddhaNature

Post by BuddhaNature »

Hello Keiichi,

Did you test KDocker and AllTray on your Linux system with Thunderbird v60.0? Did they work for you? (Giving that information might help others.)
keiichi

Post by keiichi »

I tested only Kdocker and works on thunderbird 60. Anyway I don't know the eventually dependences of kdocker because I use (also) kde how DE.
For my experience, after ran kdocker, the user must selected a window to miminize it and the program will be placed in tray bar.
When the program is opened, in lxqt, if you minimize the program, it will be placed in task bar. If you click on on the program on the task bar, the program will be placed in tray bar.
I don't know the behavior of kdocker with other DE.